The gunmen believed to be suicide attackers indiscriminately used gunfire, while making their entry inside the camp near Indian air force station and airport in Srinagar city, the summer capital of Indian-controlled Kashmir.
The IGP confirmed that the terrorists belonged to Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed.
Piecing together the chain of events, PTI reported police as saying the militants entered the BSF's 182 battalion headquarters through a damaged perimeter wall and started firing in all directions. The airport is managed by the Indian Air Force and also doubles as a military base with many attack helicopters based there. Reports state that one jawan has been killed and three others are injured.
Sources said the mercenaries stormed the BSF camp from Gogo village and carried out several blasts inside the camp before being detected by troopers. Government Forces including BSF, 53 Rashtriya Rifles, CRPF and SOG of Jammu Kashmir Police cordoned off the building while a large number of security personnel engaged militants in fire fight.
Terrorists carried out a suicide attack on Tuesday on a Border Security Force (BSF) camp near Srinagar International airport, in Jammu and Kashmir.
A BSF statement said, "The third militant was restricted to Adm block building". Security forces initially asked the militant to surrender.
The terrorist who entered the mess was killed by the officers inside after a gunbattle, the BSF said. While three others were killed during the Pulwama encounter when they attacked a police complex the others are still on the run. "The operation ended at 1 pm", he told the media.
"Employees working at the airport have been allowed to proceed but flight operations are yet to be resumed", the police official said.
Although the violence appears to be waning, the latest attack has caused alarm across India's security agencies, says BBC Urdu's Riyaz Masroor.
- Police say female companion of shooter still person of interest
- State of Romelu Lukaku's injury revealed
- On Premier League TV Money
- IEA raises green energy outlook
- Pique won't quit, could play on for Spain beyond 2018
- Rajnish Kumar Appointed as New SBI Chairman
- Pauley Perrette Announces She's Leaving 'NCIS' After Season 15
- "Hell in a Cell 2017" Kickoff Show Match Announced
- Las Vegas Shooter Bought 33 of His Guns Since October
- Roman Polanski accused for the fourth time sexual assault on minor