"Although Model 3 deliveries were slightly below the range, production challenges were expected for the first quarter of Model 3 production, and we expect production to significantly increase in Q4", Baird analysts wrote in a note.
Investors put aside worries about Tesla Inc meeting production targets for its Model 3 mass-market sedan to push the electric auto maker's shares higher on Tuesday, overturning an initial drop of nearly 3 percent.
The Model 3 has become Tesla's most anticipated auto. "We comprehend what has to be repaired and we are confident of dealing with the manufacturing bottleneck problems in the near term". By comparison, Model S and X delivery rates in the third quarter were the best for their respective years.
Tesla called the third quarter "our all-time best quarter for deliveries" in an investor message posted online.
According to the Tesla, production bottlenecks are to blame for failing to meet its goals.
Tesla's delivery count for Q3-25,336 in total-varies from the production count because, as the automaker put it, "we only count a auto as delivered if it is transferred to the customer and all paperwork is correct".
Production on the highly touted vehicle was expected to expand from 100 cars in August to 1,500 in September, and plateau to 20,000 per month in December.
Tesla said after market close on Monday it delivered 26,150 vehicles, up about 18% sequentially and about 5% year over year.
"Let's face that the Model 3 is actually sort of a beta test right now", short-seller Jim Chanos, who's betting against Tesla shares, said on Bloomberg Television last week. Tesla produced 25,708 vehicles in the second quarter.
For now, Tesla's first "mass market EV" remains a scarce commodity. The production and sales for Model 3 is expected to go in full swing for Q4.
- Holidays cancelled after collapse of Monarch Airlines
- Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt welcome baby Speidi, Gunnar Stone
- McDonald's brings back Szechuan sauce
- Puerto Rico governor says relief arriving to storm-ravaged rural areas
- Macklemore Cancels Aus Press Conference Ahead Of NRL Grand Final
- Jerry Jones: Yes, Trump called; no, Cowboys didn't disrespect flag with demonstration
- Mariah Carey already has her damn Christmas tree up
- Everton chief Farhad Moshiri gives Ronald Koeman his backing
- Google Dropping 'First Click Free' Policy For News Websites
- Myanmar makes 'proposal' to take back Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh