Again facing rapid-fire questions about his decisions the night before that backfired, one in particular revolving around not challenging a critical hit-by-pitch call in the sixth inning, Joe Girardi didn't pass the buck. They make you throw a lot of pitches. Additionally, this "groove" notion must be a new belief as anyone familiar with the Yankees knows Sanchez takes as many mid-inning trips to the mound as any catcher in the league.
However, Sanchez was calling out to have the call replayed from the moment it happened, so that in and of itself, should have told the Yankees skipper something was wrong. "I'm excited for him because previous year he missed out". Francona, who trusted his gut and used No. 3 starter Trevor Bauer in Game 1 with dominant results, isn't going to screw up. The Yankees came to Progressive Field without a hint of fear, gained confidence with every Corey Kluber pitch that missed its mark, and stunned the 37,681 fans expecting an easy night. Jay Bruce tied the game two innings later off David Robertson. With five innings and one out behind him, Girardi stuck to his plan before the game instead of going with what he was seeing, which was Sabathia dominating from the 2nd inning moving forward.
But the decision that made the least sense was pulling CC Sabathia out of the game despite his performance.
Sabathia out-pitching Kluber, the likely AL Cy Young Award victor? Even if Girardi had been overruled, the Yankees still had a big lead.
The sixth inning was more unneeded proof. With runners on second and third, Chisenhall fouled off four pitches before Green's 95-mph fastball hit the end of the bat. Green had faced two hitters and retired one. Sanchez turned to the dugout and pleaded his case to the home dugout.
That allows Cleveland the chance to use its ace in Game 2.
How could Joe Girardi no nothing?
- Sri Lanka at 180/3 in 2nd Test against Pakistan
- Chris Johnson's Forecast | Tropical rains ramp up for the Commonwealth
- On nukes, Canada must weigh gestures against cross-border realities
- USA to lift sanctions Sudan
- 11 pedestrians hit near London museum; incident not terror-related, officials say
- It's late for Chipolopolo to qualify for Russian Federation 2018 -Iloenyosi
- Traces of VX nerve agent found on Siti Aisyah, Doan's clothes
- Google Will Focus On Offline Stores for Pixel 2 Sales in India
- US slaps more duties on Bombardier
- The Las Vegas Shooter Reportedly Searched For Hotels Near Fenway Park