According to PTI, the police said that over 17 others are feared dead, but their bodies are yet to be recovered.
The incident occurred when the boat set off for Pavitra Sangamam at Ferry village near Vijayawada from Bhavani Island, the police said. Officials said 41 passengers, including 31 members of Ongole Wakers Club, were present in the boat when it overturned. He announced Rs 8 lakh compensation each to the families of the deceased.
Around 20 of the roughly 35 people on the boat were rescued and search operations were continuing, India's National Disaster Response Force said on Twitter.
Local fishermen at Ferry swung into action immediately and rescued 15 passengers.
The boat overturned at Ibrahimpatnam Ferry Ghat around 5.20 p.m. Read Also: Karnataka: Seven held for trying to sacrifice boy Locals have alleged that numerous boats do not have sufficient number of life jackets and carry more passengers than their actual capacity. Some of the survivors complained that the police that the boat was shaking right from moment it started from Bhavani Island. However, locals allege that many boats do not have sufficient number of life jackets and carry more passengers than their sanctioned capacity.
The ill-fated boat was being operated by a private company and was said to be on a trial run.
Tourism minister Bhuma Akhila Priya ordered an inquiry into the incident and directed her department officials to ascertain whether the boat operator had requisite permissions.
The incident took place at Ibahimpatnam mandal in Krishna district.
- Injustice 2 DLC will add The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Jenny McCarthy Reshares Steven Seagal Harassment Claim
- Turning Points: One big hit swings momentum in Browns' loss to Lions
- Talk of independent Kashmir wrong: Farooq Abdullah
- Powerful natural disaster rocks Iran-Iraq border; several villages damaged, casualties reported
- "Drunk" OJ Simpson Kicked Out Of Cosmopolitan Las Vegas Hotel
- Junket tourism
- Caitlyn Jenner Claims Kris Jenner Cross-Dressed With Her Before Her Transition
- Air pollution: NGT to examine odd-even scheme