Butch Jones apparently isn't too interested in keeping the recruiting class he assembled in place at Tennessee. The Vols (4-6, 0-6 SEC) are in danger of missing a bowl game for the first time since 2013, Jones' first season.The famed rock at UT's Knoxville campus has already been painted with a sign referencing Butch Jones' exit from the Volunteers' football program.
Jones was hired December 5th, 2012 and was the 24th head football coach in school history.
If Tennessee wanted to wait until after the season to make a coaching change, the football team's lack of success made that an increasingly hard choice.
What did Jones tell him?
LSU will take on an interim coach on Saturday night.
Tennessee started the season 3-1 but has lost five of its last six games. When was this team going to overtake the competition in the SEC East, finally defeat Alabama, win a conference championship and be in the College Football Playoff discussion?
Hoke was 34-38 at Ball State, 13-12 at San Diego State and 78-70 with the Wolverines, including his best mark of 11-2 in 2011. But it's highly likely that he'll only be an interim coach and not be considered for the permanent position after the season.
Hoke has 12 years of experience as a head coach, most recently at MI from 2011-14. But a top Power 5 coaching position is unlikely in the near future. Hoke is in his first year as Tennessee's defensive line coach.
The 59-year-old Hoke has head coaching experience at Ball State (six years), San Diego State (two years) and MI (four years), and after his dismissal at MI after the 2014 season, Hoke was out of coaching for a year before spending the 2016 season as Oregon's defensive coordinator.
- At least 16 dead after boat capsizes in Andhra Pradesh
- Turning Points: One big hit swings momentum in Browns' loss to Lions
- Air pollution: NGT to examine odd-even scheme
- Veterans Day a day to honor those who served
- Duterte says he has killed someone at 16
- Injustice 2 DLC will add The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Protesters tag Trump, Duterte as 'fascists'
- "Drunk" OJ Simpson Kicked Out Of Cosmopolitan Las Vegas Hotel
- Talk of independent Kashmir wrong: Farooq Abdullah
- Parade, festival held at Civic Center Park for Veterans Day