Against expectations‚ Bafana Bafana coach Stuart Baxter has revealed his hand early and released is starting XI for Friday night's must-win World Cup qualifier against Senegal‚ with Lebogang Manyama starting.
South Africa knew they had to win their last two games to have any chance of making it to Russian Federation, but defeat in Polokwane ends their slim hopes of qualification.
The previous game was cancelled after the referee, who was later banned for life by the world football governing body, was found to have been compromised.
The 25-year-old winger set up West Ham striker Diafra Sakho to put Lions of Teranga in the lead after 12 minutes.
Victory gave Senegal an uncatchable five-point lead over Burkina Faso and Cape Verde in Group D with one round left.
But Senegal proved too strong, and Mane celebrated an historic victory, with his country's last time at a World Cup finals coming in 2002.
This is how South Africa was eliminated from World Cup qualification.
"We need to make progress".
Itumeleng Khune will play at goalkeeper with a face mask as protection for the facial injury he sustained in Kaizer Chiefs' 1-0 Telkom Knockout win against Chippa United on Sunday.
"Maybe I'm blue-eyed but I don't think this team [Senegal] or Nigeria are better than us". After a counter-attack, Mane has his shot saved by Khune, only for the ball to rebound off the head of a falling Thamsanqa Mkhize and into the net for the cruellest of own goals. Sadio Mané set up Diafra Sakho for a lovely first goal, and Mané was involved in the second as well. But again there was no end product as several promising crosses just failed to meet the right targets in the box, while Sibusiso Vilakazi fired straight at N'Diaye from close range and Zwane struck a first-time effort over the bar just after the hour mark.
- McConnell Calls On Roy Moore To 'Step Aside'
- Bahrain calls pipeline fire 'a terrorist act'
- Virginia Tech notebook: Fuente has no regrets for unsuccessful gambles
- Penn State vs. Rutgers Insider
- IPhone X screen can become unresponsive in cold weather
- Chinese firm to acquire lip-synching app Musical.ly for $1 billion
- Grace leads local charge in Nedbank Golf Challenge
- Israel says downed Syrian spy drone over Golan Heights
- Advocacy group: Fidget spinners sold at Target contain high amounts of lead
- Pakistan to host Windies for next five years from 2018