This news comes right as HTC debuts the "Vive Focus" standalone VR headset for other markets (aka not the US). At the moment, the device, which was initially teased at Google I/O 2017 in May, will be available exclusively in China. HTC isn't revealing many details about the Vive Focus as of yet - in fact, there's no word on the pricing and availability of the headset yet.
What most want, however, isn't just wireless untethered VR, but standalone VR, allowing you to enter a virtual world from anywhere without being stuck down by cables. It runs a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 chip and uses inside-out positional tracking.
Separately, HTC has issued an invitation to VR and augmented-reality developers worldwide to participate in its Viveport Developer Awards, which are to recognize creativity and innovation in the field, as the company continues its efforts to build its own VR ecosystem. Its new Vive Wave platform aims to unify the two threads of PC and mobile VR development into one, happy Viveport family.
In contrast to the U.S. and other Western markets, HTC Vive has a more stable foothold in China, which explains why HTC is dumping its resources there.
HTC's Vive Focus is said to be the first premium standalone VR headset. A rather basic-looking touch and motion tracking controller also looks to be part of the Vive Touch package.
Mr Harding-Rolls said standalone headsets were the "end game" for wearable VR and it was "encouraging" to see HTC release one that could match PC versions. HTC also confirmed that over 100 developers are already working on content for the HTC Vive Focus.
More detailed specifications - including its price and release date - have not been detailed as yet.
The HTC Vive Focus is lighter than the HTC Vive and the cushion makes it more comfortable to wear as well.
- Hate crimes overall climb 4.6 percent
- Gal Godot Gives Warner Brothers An Ultimatum: Ratner's Out Or She's Out
- Trump asked Chinese president for help over arrested UCLA basketball players
- A 'Hitman' TV Series Is In The Works From 'John Wick' Creator
- Duterte's words on Philippine bodycount
- New Battlefront 2 Game Enrages Star Wars Fans
- Mogherini hails 'historic' European Union defense pact as 23 countries sign up
- Two people reportedly stabbed at Mall of America
- Verizon's Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) gets Android 7.0 Nougat update
- Men more at risk of rare heart attack after sex