The Juventus stopper, who is widely considered one of the best goalkeepers ever, has said he will retire from global duty once the current campaign ends.
But that dramatic equaliser never came - even as goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon joined the Italy attack on a pair of late set-pieces - with the Swedes rushing the pitch at the final whistle to celebrate their ticket to Russian Federation.
Ventura could only lead Italy to a second-place finish in UEFA World Cup qualifying Group G, finishing five points behind group winners Spain and setting up a play-off with the Swedes to reach Russian Federation.
Italy are out of the World Cup after tonight's 0-0 draw with Sweden.
But despite laying siege to the Scandinavian defence over 90 feverish minutes, Italy could not make the breakthrough and the goalless draw was enough for Sweden to reach Russian Federation 2018.
But Giampiero Ventura's players couldn't breach a resolute Sweden defence, indeed they struggled to create any meaningful chances as they were bounced out of the World Cup finals.
"We can make no mistakes, we are focusing on what we must do to win but if we fail to qualify everybody should take the blame", the 39-year-old Juventus player said at the pre-match press conference. I thank the lads who were with us and, although it wasn't enough, I hope that we gave them something.
Four-time champion Italy failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in six decades after losing its playoff to Sweden 1-0 on aggregate.
"I've already faced similar situations in my career, sometimes I've succeeded, some other times I've failed. I'm fully aware that this game is fundamental for us, but it's the same scenario as when I first signed to lead the national side", he continued.
"We know we've lost, but we have another 90 minutes to overcome this complicated situation". My situation is not important at the moment.
What TV channel is Italy vs Sweden on? Ireland take on Denmark in Dublin on Tuesday, with the tie finely poised at 0-0 after the teams' draw in Copenhagen on Saturday.
- National Football League owners to discuss Roger Goodell's contract extension Monday
- Algeria force Nigeria to draw
- Advocacy group: Fidget spinners sold at Target contain high amounts of lead
- Uber loses key appeal over drivers' rights
- Chinese firm to acquire lip-synching app Musical.ly for $1 billion
- IPhone X screen can become unresponsive in cold weather
- Feature: History of South Africa vs. Senegal
- Japanese minister says all TPP countries now agree on trade pact
- Victor Moses on BBC's African Player of the Year shortlist
- Our Defence Affairs Are Not Negotiable: Iran FM to Macron