One terrorist was killed by security forces in Jammu and Kashmir's Kulgam district on Tuesday.
The forces cordoned a section of Tral after reports of the presence of militants, following which the encounter ensued. "The operation got prolonged as the trapped militants changed their positions during the exchange of fire", the official said.
"The militants fired upon a joint party of police, army and paramilitary troopers who were deployed at a crossing to check the movement of vehicles".
A police officer said a militant hideout has been unearthed, while the search operation in the area is still in progress.
The slain militants were identified as local cadres of the Hizbul Mujahideen group. A soldier was also killed in the operation. "He may have done some diploma course, but not BTech", the DIG said, adding that Mudasir had joined militancy in 2015. Though some reports said Mudasir was a B Tech graduate, Pani ruled out this.
Authorities have suspended internet service in Baramulla district fearing it would mobilize crowds.
A gunfight was triggered on Tuesday after militants started firing upon security forces who were conducting search operations in a suspected spot. However, there was no response from militants.
There have been three gun-battles between armed forces and the militants in Kashmir in the last 12 hours. "The operation was called off after no contact was established with them", a police official said.
- Congress Declares US Military Support of Saudi Arabia in Yemen War Unauthorized
- Verizon's Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) gets Android 7.0 Nougat update
- North Korean Soldier Is Shot While Defecting Across DMZ, South Says
- Duterte's words on Philippine bodycount
- Rosogolla battle ends on a sweet note for West Bengal
- Junket tourism
- HTC Announces Vive Focus Standalone VR Headset Powered By Snapdragon 835 SoC
- A 'Hitman' TV Series Is In The Works From 'John Wick' Creator
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Gal Godot Gives Warner Brothers An Ultimatum: Ratner's Out Or She's Out