According to news from ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen, Goodell is supposedly asking for a $50 million annual salary and a private jet for life from league owners.
Goodell's current contract runs out in March of 2019 and the commish and owners are now working on a five-year contract extension.
ESPN quotes one National Football League owner as saying, "that number for Roger just seems too much".
The NFL's compensation committee -which includes Giants co-owner John Mara - will hold a conference call Monday to "discuss and further push ahead the proposed extension" for Goodell, per ESPN. As PFW reported this week, Jones may have a half-dozen owners in his corner, while a larger group remains displeased with Goodell but isn't sure how to respond, and a growing faction is furious with Jones over his public handling of the NFL's private business.
ESPN also pointed out that there are several owners that don't clear $50 million a year in earnings.
The ongoing battle between Jerry Jones and Roger Goodell is more compelling than a lot of the NFL's on-field action has been this season.
While executive vice president of communications Joe Lockhart denied the exact figure, the ESPN source said Goodell is standing firm on his demands. "It's offensive. It's unseemly". The sources suggest that "at best" Jones has maybe three other owners in his corner that Goodell should go, but is nowhere close to the 24 votes required to derail a process that is in essence already completed (pending just a formal signing and announcement, sources said). "He can stand to show some humility, but he won't listen to staff". "I basically feel this extension of Roger should be reviewed and approved by all the owners, not just a few of the owners". Goodell's current deal ends in 2019.
"The problem is, no one is talking about games anymore", said one owner. "It's about concussions, Jones vs. Goodell, Zeke, the anthem".
Jones has retained legal counsel and Wednesday threatened to sue the league in an effort to block Goodell's extension.
- Pakistan to host Windies for next five years from 2018
- Turning Points: One big hit swings momentum in Browns' loss to Lions
- Powerful natural disaster rocks Iran-Iraq border; several villages damaged, casualties reported
- Israel says downed Syrian spy drone over Golan Heights
- At least 16 dead after boat capsizes in Andhra Pradesh
- Penn State vs. Rutgers Insider
- Watch Taylor Swift Perform Her New Songs on 'SNL'
- Chiefs' Roy Miller arrested in Jacksonville on battery charge
- Cristiano Ronaldo's girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez gives birth to his fourth child
- Arab teams in the World Cup For the first time in history