Fears of some sort of revolt grew over the last few hours after several army tanks were spotted headed for the capital, and major arteries out of Harare were closed.
Yesterday the Zimbabwe army boss Constantine Chiwenga shook Mugabe allies and officials in the ruling Zanu-PF party when he said the military will not allow anyone who was not part of "us" to re-write the country's history.
This comes a day after a statement by army generals urged President Robert Mugabe to cease purges within his ruling party or "the military would be forced to intervene".
There has been a crackdown on freedom of expression in the southern African nation in recent months, with a United States of America woman arrested for allegedly calling President Robert Mugabe "a goblin" in a tweet.
The veteran of the country's 1970s liberation war was popular with the military and had been seen as a likely successor to Mugabe.
"We must remind those behind the current treacherous shenanigans that, when it comes to matters of protecting our revolution, the military will not hesitate to step in", armed forces chief Constantino Chiwenga said on Monday.
But Mugave has been accusing the generals of taking sides in the succession race.
Robert Mugabe is the only leader Zimbabwe has known in 37 years of independence.
Chiwenga said if this happens, the military will interject and stop the process.
Analysts said if Mugabe responded to Chiwenga's statement, he would be compelled to choose sides between war veterans and the young turks rallying behind his wife. He has to declare his allegiance. "It is a warning that the political class in ZANU-PF is about to cross that red line".
- Junket tourism
- Iran ends quake rescue operations as hungry survivors battle the cold
- Watch Taylor Swift's Surprise Performance for Jimmy Fallon
- SUPER MARIO BROS. Reboot Film In Talks With MINIONS Studio
- Rosogolla battle ends on a sweet note for West Bengal
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Woman techie dies after spurned lover sets her on fire in Chennai
- EgyptAir commits to 24 Bombardier CS300s
- YouTube App Causing Battery Drain On iOS 11
- Shuttle-like Dream Chaser spacecraft makes glide test flight