As Harvey Weinstein's alleged house of cards was about to come crashing down in a wave of allegations of sexual harassment and assault, one of his most vocal accusers, Rose McGowan, says the increasingly desperate producer offered her some pretty hefty hush money: $1 million, the actress tells the New York Times.
The "Charmed" actress said she initially responded to the offer, which required her to sign a nondisclosure agreement, by asking for $6 million instead, but quickly asked her lawyer to withdraw the counter. "I'm just like you", McGowan said in her speech during the opening session of the convention. "Because what happened to me, happens to all of us in society, and it can not stand", she said.
A day after the story was published McGowan, 44, asked her lawyer to pull the offer.
Rodriguez said he wanted to have a "bad a** character and make her one of the leads" in his next movie with Quentin Tarantino, which was Grindhouse.
"I have been silenced for 20 years", McGowan began. It was then that she told him the story of what happened between her and Weinstein.
Delivering opening remarks at The Women's Convention in Detroit, McGowan thanked the audience "for giving me wings during this very hard time".
McGowan reached a $100,000 settlement with Weinstein in '97, but only learned over this past summer that the settlement did not include a confidentiality clause. I have been harassed. "I'm just like you".
Weinstein is said to be in rehab but there has still been nothing to prove this claim, and now over 60 women have come forward with allegations of sexual harassment and assault.
"What happened to me behind the scenes happens to all of us in society and it can not stand and it will not stand", she said.
During her remarks, McGowan called for more diversity in the entertainment industry and also described the danger of having so many men-especially men like Weinstein-making the decisions that impact women's careers, livelihoods, and identities. I have been maligned, and you know what? I feel like people should know that you've been calling my literary agent and saying there'd be money for me if I got on the "Harvey's Changed" bandwagon? We are pure, we are strong, we are courageous and we will fight.
- Champions League scores, highlights: PSG rolls; Barcelona held; Roma crushes Chelsea
- Utah forecast: Chilly and breezy for Halloween trick-or-treaters
- Sanders holds White House news briefing
- Iran's Jaberi Ansari, Russian Lavrentiev discuss Syrian peace talks
- Will United snub see Sanchez and Llorente shine for Tottenham against Madrid?
- 'Silk Road' rail links China and Europe
- New Far Cry 5 Trailer Hypes Up The Extensive Co-Op Experience
- Netflix pulls plug on House of Cards amid Kevin Spacey…
- Apple releases iOS 11.1 with 70 new emoji and several bug fixes
- Delhi-bound Jet Airways flight diverted to Ahmedabad over 'hijack threat'