The announcement ended a two-and-a-half-year-old bitter dispute between Odisha and West Bengal over the origin of the Rosogolla, our Delhi correspondent reported.
Sanjay Bhattacharya, deputy controller of patents and designs Kolkata said, "The issue has been settled under the GI Act that authenticates a product relating to either a geographical location or community". "We are very happy and proud that #Bengal has been granted GI status for rosogolla", West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee wrote on Twitter after the news broke.
Registry and Intellectual Property India on Tuesday presented the Geographical Indication Tag status to Banglar Rasogolla of West Bengal and Mamallapuram stone sculptures of Tamil Nadu.
"Odisha and its coastal towns have forever been attractions for tourists from Bengal". If people of Odisha also think and claim rosogolla as their own, that's also good. It would be interesting to see whether it can try and get a GI tag on "Odisha Rasagola" or "Odia Rasagola".
It is this kind of Rasagolla that has received the GI tag.
In 2015, its science and technology minister Pradip Kumar announced the setting up of a committee that would trace the "actual" origin of the sweet.
While Bengal claimed that the delicacy was invented in Kolkata by confectioner Nobin Chandra Das in the 1860s, Odisha government said it was invented in Puri in the 13th century.
However, two years on, and West Bengal can finally claim that the rasgulla is officially theirs. Odisha made a claim on September 19 when West Bengal filed an application for the GI tag. "We are all happy that now we can say with full rights that rosogolla belongs to us".
However this is not the first sweet battle that Bengal has fought.
More importantly, the GI Registrar office at Chennai told The New Indian Express that Odisha has not so far applied for any GI tag. He had stated that there is conclusive evidence that Rosogolla has existed in the state for about 600 years.
- Verizon's Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) gets Android 7.0 Nougat update
- Brookfield Property Partners offers to buy rest of mall owner GGP
- Is special counsel needed to investigate Clinton, Comey?
- North Korean Soldier Is Shot While Defecting Across DMZ, South Says
- Congress Declares US Military Support of Saudi Arabia in Yemen War Unauthorized
- Four People Killed in Northern California Shooting
- Gal Godot Gives Warner Brothers An Ultimatum: Ratner's Out Or She's Out
- Woman techie dies after spurned lover sets her on fire in Chennai
- HTC Announces Vive Focus Standalone VR Headset Powered By Snapdragon 835 SoC
- DC Comics editor fired amid sexual assault allegations