Friday, 24 November 2017
Latest news
Main » Saudi Arabia launches military strikes on Yemeni capital

Saudi Arabia launches military strikes on Yemeni capital

12 November 2017
Saudi Arabia launches military strikes on Yemeni capital

The Saudi-led military coalition carried out two air strikes on the defence ministry in Yemen´s rebel-held capital Sanaa late Friday, witnesses said, cited by AFP.

According to media reports, the airstrikes hit a residential area near the ministry of defence building, which had been targeted just before. "The house has been destroyed".

It is noted that the strikes were aimed at the Ministry of defense of Yemen.

The coalition has intensified air strikes in Yemen since the Houthis fired a ballistic missile at the Saudi capital, Riyadh, a week ago.

The rebels have threatened additional attacks on Saudi Arabia and its coalition partner the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in response to the blockade.

The Saudi-led coalition is still blocking desperately needed United Nations aid deliveries to Yemen despite the re-opening of the Yemeni port of Aden and also a land border crossing.

The United Nations had warned that a total blockade could cause a starvation that could kill millions in Yemen, where 2-1/2 years of war has killed at least 10,000 people and unleashed starvation and disease in the already impoverished country.

The al Wadea border crossing, linking Saudi Arabia with territory in eastern Yemen controlled by the Saudi-backed government, was reopened on Thursday, the official and witnesses said, letting food and other supplies enter Yemen.