Earlier this month, Canadian Blood Services released an appeal for donors to urgently fill 35,000 appointments by 6 January, and there has been a sharp increase in donations since - but not enough. However, more new and returning donors are still needed to help fill 18,000 open appointments.
He said the Red Deer blood donor clinic is closed on New Year's Day because the clinic is always closed on Monday.
"The holiday period is a challenging time for Canadian Blood Services given that people are busy with their holiday plans and may not be thinking of blood donation, but you really never know when you or a loved one may need help so we are encouraging people to consider donating, " Lee said in a statement issued Wednesday.
Sam Nammoura, spokesman for the group, told the Calgary Herald: "In Syria, the donation of blood is considered the highest form of loyalty to the community".
Donors can make appointments at www.bloodhero.com or by calling 1-800-365-4450. Appointments can be made through the Blood Services website at blood.ca or by downloading the Canadian Blood Services "Give Blood" app, which is available for both Android and iOS devices.
A New Liskeard Blood Donor Clinic will be open Thursday, December 28, from 2 p.m.to 7 p.m. and Friday, December 29, from 12 to 3 p.m.at Riverside Place in New Liskeard. As the universal blood type, patients in an emergency situation can all receive O-negative blood.
Although the permanent service no longer exists in the city, Blood Services territory manager for Manitoba mobiles, Steve Raizen, says the goal for the number of donations per day has not changed.
Canadians who are unable to give blood can give financially, and can encourage others in their networks to give blood on their behalf.
- Daughter of Eric Garner Declared Brain Dead
- Game addiction may become an official mental-health diagnosis in 2018
- Bomb rips through St Petersburg supermarket with shrapnel injuring 10 Christmas shoppers
- Heartbroken Rihanna calls for end to gun violence after cousin's brutal killing
- Stylist Allegedly Gave Fidgeting Customer a 'Three Stooges' Haircut
- Kabul blast kills 25 at Afghan Voice news agency, cultural center
- White Claims He's Meeting With Mayweather's Team To Talk Deal
- Geely Speeds Into Volvo Truckmaker Deal
- Browns coach says he will keep promise, jump into Lake Erie
- Roy Moore's request to halt elect certification denied by judge