The singer explained on his Instagram he was in shock as he 'only saw her last Monday'.
Elton John and his mother, Sheila Farebrother, in 2003. Thank you for everything. "Out of respect for my mother's privacy, I have always shied away from speaking publicly about our relationship", the "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" singer told The Daily Mirror.
For Mother's Day this year, Sir Elton spoke of how glad he was to be back in touch.
The iconic musician shared in the spring that he and his mother were "back in touch" after a falling out in 2008.
Elton and Sheila had been estranged for almost a decade.
Ms Farebrother was aged 92.
The 70-year-old singer-songwriter had not spoken to his mother until the rekindled their relationship in May of this year. All reminded Elton how special a mother's love is and suggested he not cry for what he's lost but smile for the special times he has had with her.
"I don't know [if watching me reminds her of her son]".
Another fan soothed: "Aw I'm so sorry for your loss". "I wish you and your loved ones a lot of strength in this tough time".
She revealed their feud in 2015 after she hired an Elton impersonator for her 90th birthday party, sparking speculation about an estrangement.
John also had a brush with death in April when he contracted a "potentially deadly" bacterial infection in South America. "It was [manager] Stuart who mischievously sent her a video". He canceled several upcoming performances to recover from the illness.
- Google adds more browsing security to your Android device
- 'Development has triumphed': PM Modi on UP civic polls
- Ali spoils Cotto's farewell battle with resolution win
- Penn State to Face Washington in Fiesta Bowl
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Junket tourism
- Oklahoma stakes playoff spot with win over TCU
- Austin Rivers Tells Trash Talking Clippers Fan To 'Shut The F*ck Up'
- Packers stay alive with overtime victory over Bucs
- Rak-Su win The X Factor 2017