The second major fire began Tuesday morning in Los Angeles County and quickly enveloped more than 4,000 acres.
It was initially reported at six acres but quickly grew to 50 acres as crews worked against 25 miles per hour winds.
UPDATE (9:50 am) Up to 150 acres and 0% contained. The fire is northeast of the Getty Center and east of the San Diego Freeway.
The crews were assigned to structure protection for both residential and business structures and could be in Los Angeles County for up to 14-days before returning home.
Residents living south of Mulholland, east of the 405, north of Sunset Boulevard, and west of Roscomare Road were told to leave their homes.
Mandatory evacuation orders are in place for Lopez Canyon, Kagel Canyon and Little Tujunga Canyon, Los Angeles Police Department Officer Cabrera said. Two firefighting helicopters have been assigned.
The fire erupted as hundreds of firefighters are battling the 31,000 acre Thomas Fire near Ventura.
Share this article: A firefighter uses a fire hose on a past blaze. Other agencies assisting including the U.S. Forest Service.
"These are days that break your heart; but these are also days that show the resilience of our city, " Garcetti said.
As homes are destroyed or damaged in the area, there will likely be an uptick in lease and rental demand, said Umansky, though the rental vacancy rate in Bel-Air and Brentwood area is very low. Santa Ana winds and low humidity are making the firefight hard.
Nicknamed the Skirball Fire, it was reported at 5 a.m. near Mulholland Drive, a five-minute drive from the Skirball Cultural Center. Terrazas urged people to monitor news broadcasts and social media, including www.LAFD.org.
Some 105 patients were being voluntarily evacuated from Mountain View Convalescent Center on Fenton Ave in Sylmar, said LAFD, noting that they had no reported injuries from any civilians.
- Alex Hales: England batsman not charged by police and available for selection
- Lebanese Prime Minister Revokes Resignation Amid Consensus Deal With Rivals
- IATA: Global passenger demand rebounded in October
- Airplane Flight Crew Gets Front Row Seat To North Korean Missile Test
- U.S. top court leaves in place Texas ruling questioning gay spousal benefits
- Harlem Rapper Finally Meets His 81-Year-Old 'Words With Friends' Buddy
- Apple To Be Charged $15 Billion As Back Tax By Ireland
- 21st Century Fox Buyout Reports
- Samsung Starts Production of First 512GB UFS Package for Mobile Devices
- Jeremy Hunt tells Facebook to act responsibly over Messenger app for children