Rivera has yet to comment on Midler's tweet. "I feel like this video was a gift from the universe to me", the 71-year-old actress wrote.
However, Twitter users believe Rivera's apology to Midler was not honest.
In the clip, Walters asks Midler to respond to Rivera's claims that she was "insatiable" in his recently published autobiography, Exposing Myself (a title that's aged real well).
"27 years ago, I wrote a tawdry book depicting consensual events in 1973-45 years ago-I've deeply regretted its distasteful & disrespectful tone & have refrained from speaking about it-I'm embarrassed & profoundly sorry to those mentioned-I have & again apologize to anyone offended", Rivera tweeted.
Midler was referring to Rivera's other mea culpa, this time after defending Lauer, even calling him a "great guy" following his termination from NBC earlier this week for what his former network called "inappropriate sexual behavior". On the contrary, Midler told Walters, "I did not offer myself up on the altar of Geraldo Rivera". Once such comments are made, it isn't easy to take them back. His apology was so humble, in fact, that he forgot to also apologize to Midler for the "flirty business" of allegedly drugging and assaulting her before an interview.
At that time, he was four years into the 11-year run of daytime talk show "Geraldo" (and three years off the cover of Playgirl), and Barbara Walters was sitting down with Bette Midler for an interview. "Harassers are deviants who deserve what is coming to them - Often victims are too frightened to come forward in a timely fashion - I humbly apologize".
Rivera apologized for his original tweets, writing that he "didn't sufficiently explain" that he knows harassment is a problem.
The book is full of salacious stories that could arguably start with "Dear Penthouse, I never thought it could happen to me", but the one receiving a lot of attention concerns Bette Midler.
- Thursday, November 30 Afternoon Forecast Discussion
- Saleh Seeks New Page With Saudi-Led Coalition as Yemen Clashes Rage
- Parham: Sanctions in hand, Ole Miss finally came out publicly firing
- Elon Musk's massive battery is up and running in South Australia
- NatWest branches to close in Newport and Bridgnorth
- Jose Mourinho unfazed by Romelu Lukaku goal drought for Manchester United
- Infosys appoints Salil S Parekh as CEO & MD
- Priyank and Vikas hug and patch up
- Selena Gomez: No-one cares about my love life
- Woods opens with 69 at Hero World Challenge