"I didn't know him last season, I realised how good he is" was what Guardiola claimed before Redmond came to his support.
However, Redmond took to social media on Thursday to explain how the City boss was "complimentary" to his qualities, insisting nothing "negative or offensive" was said.
In an extremely animated exchange with the Saints' Nathan Redmond, which initially appeared to be aggravated and fiery, the City boss was seen remonstrating something or other with the full-back.
"I told him I was doing what my manager had asked me to do in the game".
Redmond says he told Guardiola he was playing to his manager's instructions. "I said to Nathan you are a good player and you have to attack".
The FA will then decide whether Guardiola, who also encroached onto the pitch to celebrate when Raheem Sterling scored City's 95th-minute victor, should face a disrepute charge following his conduct. "I never judge and never will judge the way my opponents play against my team".
And Guardiola believes those are the moments in football that players, managers and fans crave. We didn't win clearly because it's so complicated when 10 players defend in the box.
He added: "I've faced this kind of team a lot in my career and I have to think how to beat them".
"Losing the game the way we did in the last kick of the game after working so hard for 90-plus minutes, I was very disappointed. We want to win the league but you have to celebrate when you score in the last breath like that".
City host West Ham at 16:00 GMT on Sunday, while Southampton travel to south-coast rivals Bournemouth at 13:30 on the same day.
- Will Jimbo Fisher be on private plane owned by Texas A&M alum?
- Syria fires missiles at Israeli aircraft after Israeli missiles hit near Damascus
- Saleh Seeks New Page With Saudi-Led Coalition as Yemen Clashes Rage
- Elon Musk's massive battery is up and running in South Australia
- Jose Mourinho unfazed by Romelu Lukaku goal drought for Manchester United
- Shohei Ohtani will sign with an Major League Baseball team by Christmas
- Jimmy Kimmel accepts Roy Moore invite after Twitter war
- Trump "very happy" after Flynn plea: "There's been absolutely no collusion".
- Thursday, November 30 Afternoon Forecast Discussion
- Infosys appoints Salil S Parekh as CEO & MD