Spacey was also replaced by Christopher Plummer in Ridley Scott's drama All the Money in the World, leading to last-minute reshoots before the film's release on 22 December.
Rumours have swirled for weeks about how the final season might play out, with Netflix having axed Spacey from all promotional materials on its website.
Netflix Chief Content Office Ted Sarandos told a conference Monday of the decision, Variety reported. Oh, and did we mention those final eight episodes will star the one and only, Robin Wright (Claire Underwood)?
"I can actually give you some news in the room today, because we have been in arrangement to produce a sixth season of House of Cards". He also acknowledged the importance of the 2,000-person production crew hoping to return to work.
The final series was supposed to be 13 episodes and production on the first two episodes had already been completed and a table read for episode three was on the schedule.
For those mourning the loss of a Frank Underwood gone too soon, don't fret.
But writing Spacey out of House of Cards shouldn't be hard as in the books by Michael Dobbs - which inspired the series - Frank dies. Whether that means we'll see a suicide, an assassination or an entirely written out character is still to be determined.
According to a report by The Guardian, it is also rumoured that Netflix is seeking to launch a House of Cards spin-off to extend the life of their most successful franchise.
- Alleged plot to blow up Theresa May foiled
- Austrian court rules in favor of same-sex marriage
- Fifty-Eight House Democrats Vote to Proceed with Impeachment
- Yemeni women protest for body of slain leader Saleh
- Pizza Hut testing beer and wine delivery
- Trump aide Flynn planned to 'rip up' Russian Federation sanctions
- Black Mirror Premiere Date & Full Trailer Released
- LA's Getty Center was built with fire protection in mind
- Steinhoff shares plunge 66% as CEO quits amid accounting scandal
- Senate Confirms Nielsen to Head Homeland Security