Rohit Sharma will lead the squad - including the uncapped Washington Sundar, Deepak Hooda and Basil Thampi - while Jasprit Bumrah is in line to make his Test debut after being included in the 17-man party to tour South Africa in the new year. At the same time, they welcomed the lanky fast bowlers into the Test squad with open arms. Considering his Ranji Trophy performances a year ago, where he bowled brilliantly the whole season.
"It's a unanimous choice, there were no doubts in picking Bumrah because he definitely adds variety to our pace attack".
"Everybody is in very good form". The pacer, who has been an indispensable part of India's limited-overs team, has staked his claim for a position in Test team with his control and consistency, and the pacer picked himself with his performances in the limited-overs, according to the chief selector MSK Prasad. "It is one of the best balanced sides going to South Africa". The All-India Senior Selection Committee will meet in New Delhi to pick the team for the upcoming T20I series against Sri Lanka as well. He explained that only two spinners were required for the tour and to select Kuldeep ahead of Jadeja and Ashwin would've been a big ask.
India has included seven pacers and two spinners for South Africa Tests. "But he is a fine bowler and over a period of time, we would see him grow", the former Andhra stumper said. Virat Kohli has been rested for the T20I series as well after complaining of a "cramped schedule".
"The nature of wickets in South Africa will suit his bowling", said Prasad, elaborating on the Gujarat slinger's selection. The matches are slated to take place in Cuttack, Indore and Mumbai. "The team leaves for South Africa on 27th", confirmed Amitabh Choudhary.
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- No. 2 Sooners bound for Rose Bowl, will face No. 3 Georgia
- Number of flu cases already higher than past year
- Cold Front Coming to Colorado Later Sunday
- Junket tourism
- San Francisco Giants Reportedly Finalists for Shohei Ohtani
- United States pulls out of UN's pact on migration
- Jimbo Fisher gets $75 million deal to coach Texas A&M
- Code.org Raises $12 Million from Bill Gates and Other Backers
- Cyclone Ockhi: Maha, Guj on high alert; Kerala toll at 25