It accelerates from 0-100 km an hour in 3.6 seconds, 0-200 km an hour in 12.8 seconds and reaches a top speed of 305 km/h. Ferrari is rumored to be the next luxury carmaker contemplating an SUV model.
Based on the same platform as the Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne, the Lamborghini is powered by a twin turbo 4.0 litre V8, that develops 478kW and 850Nm. This being Lamborghini, upgrades are always upgrades, such as 23-inch rims, a 1,700 watt Bang & Olufsen 3D sound system with 21 speakers, or an off-road package with reinforced bumpers and underfloor protection. Users may find rear space lacking; the low roofline styling of the small "sport coupe" BMW X6 is apparent here as well, and rear-seat room in the X6 comes at a premium.
But this is no standard SUV; it's an SSUV, or Super Sport Utility Vehicle according to Lamborghini, as the company's not really known for making non-super cars and this can do almost 190 miles per hour.
The Urus is vitally important for Lamborghini, which has invested in a vast (and claimed to be carbon-neutral) new factory in which to build it. Domenicalli claimed that the big SUV will double Lamborghini's sales volume by 2019, which would mean raising sales to around 7,000 vehicles a year. "This is the point of no return for us" he said.
In comparison, Lamborghini's Huracan Performante, which comes with a V10 engine, goes from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 2.9 seconds and has a top speed of nearly 202 miles per hour.
The Urus, as the four-wheel drive "super SUV" will be known, was revealed at the Volkswagen group-owned company's historic home near Bologna.
"The Urus fits perfectly within the Lamborghini family as a high performance auto". As has always been tradition at the automaker, the name Urus is derived from the world of bulls: Urus, also known as Aurochs, was one of the large, wild ancestors of today's domesticated cattle.
"We are entering new markets that will be very important for the future of our growth". Comparing the Urus with the Huracan Performante, the SUV comes very close to matching the sports vehicle.
Prices for the Urus, excluding taxes, start at £131,500, with the first customers due to receive their vehicles by spring 2018.
- San Marcos mourns first officer killed in line of duty
- Toys 'R' Us Looks to Close Some UK Stores
- U.S. top court leaves in place Texas ruling questioning gay spousal benefits
- Warriors' Stephen Curry seriously hurts ankle in win against Pelicans
- OR will Take on (25) Boise State in Las Vegas Bowl
- Samsung Starts Production of First 512GB UFS Package for Mobile Devices
- IATA: Global passenger demand rebounded in October
- Mueller issues subpoena to Deutsche Bank in Russian Federation probe
- Airplane Flight Crew Gets Front Row Seat To North Korean Missile Test
- Harlem Rapper Finally Meets His 81-Year-Old 'Words With Friends' Buddy