It's unknown what swayed the search toward Cristobal - but he received significant public support from players, including a petition signed by dozens of players that was delivered to Mullens' office.
And, Cristobal and OR were slated to meet the media on Sunday morning in the first of a handful of interview opportunities leading up to the bowl game at Sam Boyd Stadium.
OR assistant Mario Cristobal was officially promoted to head coach a year to the day after Willie Taggart was introduced.
The Rock is the latest in a long line of fans, either of the Ducks or the coach himself, to applaud Oregon's hire in replacing Willie Taggart, who bolted for the vacant Florida State job.
After serving as a G.A.at Miami from 1998-2000, Cristobal moved on to Rutgers under Greg Schiano coaching offensive line and tight ends from 2001-2003, before returning to Miami to coach tight ends and offensive line from 2004-2006. Cristobal, a native of Miami, FL, is 47 years old and has head coaching experience.
The Oregon athletic director promoted Mario Cristobal from interim football coach to the full-time job on Friday, according to multiple media reports.
And The Rock loves, and excuse the pun, what the Ducks are cooking in Eugene.
Cristobal joined OR as their co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach prior to the 2017 season after spending four years as Alabama's offensive line coach. Over that stretch, he went 20-26 in conference play and led the Golden Panthers to a pair of bowl berths. OR senior LT Tyrell Crosby, a first-team All-Pac-12 selection, tweeted on Thursday night that over 70 players had signed a petition to keep him on as head coach.
"I feel like this is a really big accomplishment for everyone, that's why everyone was so excited", offensive lineman Shane Lemieux said afterward. The Ducks face Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl.
- Did Trump's Teeth Almost Fall Out During His Historic Israel Speech?
- Roy Moore Accuser Admits Adding Notation To Yearbook Inscription
- What a Disney-Fox merger could mean for Cleveland sports fans
- Steelers' Smith-Schuster, Bengals' Iloka each banned 1 game
- Dawson under winter weather advisory starting Friday
- Louis Cardinals Release Statement Announcing That Giancarlo Stanton Has Owned Them
- Instagram goes Facebook way, starts testing standalone messaging app Direct
- First Lady Melania Trump Stops by Whataburger While in Texas
- Pope calls for 'status quo' of Jerusalem to be respected
- Evaluate Analyst's Opinions:: Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT)