With a cold blast of weather and even snow showers forecast for later this week, Ireland will also have to bear the brunt of Storm Caroline that is expected to hit the United Kingdom in the coming days.
It took the action following a similar warning by the UK Met Office.
A yellow "be aware" warning has also been issued for southern Scotland and the north of Northern Ireland between 6am and 6pm on Thursday.
Storm Caroline will pose a "danger to life" when it batters northern parts of the United Kingdom on Thursday bringing gusts of up to 90mph, forecasters have warned.
Accumulations of snow of up to 3cm could fall in places on Thursday and Friday, forecasters have warned north and northwest counties will be "most at risk".
The wintry weather follows snow and cold temperatures experienced in parts of Scotland earlier this month.
Met Office meteorologist Marco Petagna said: "Overnight, the main feature will be the increase in wind as Caroline starts to come in towards the end of the night".
Snow showers are expected to become increasingly frequent on Friday after travelling across Northern Scotland late on Thursday night.
A Met Office spokeswoman, Nicola Maxey, said: "Winds will pick up across the rest of the country so it will be a blustery day for many areas".
There will be potentially damaging gusts of up to 80mph there, with higher speeds possible across the Northern and Western Isles.
Road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected, while a loss of power in some areas is also possible.
"On Thursday, the strength of the wind during the morning peak period is likely to lead to bridge restrictions and closures and we would urge drivers to check ahead", said Transport Minister Humza Yousaf.
"Large waves are expected and beach material may be thrown onto coastal roads, sea fronts and properties".
- Amazon launches Prime Now in Singapore
- House Of Cards WILL return with Robin Wright as the lead
- Senate Confirms Nielsen to Head Homeland Security
- LA's Getty Center was built with fire protection in mind
- Fifty-Eight House Democrats Vote to Proceed with Impeachment
- Black Mirror Premiere Date & Full Trailer Released
- Obama: US opting out of Paris agreement 'a hard position to defend'
- Liverpool 7-0 Spartak Moscow
- MS Dhoni set to join CSK squad for IPL 2018 edition
- US Sens. Reed, Whitehouse call on Sen. Franken to resign