Abrams, who has taken over directing the yet-unnamed Star Wars: Episode IX, was reportedly so impressed by Tarantino's pitch that he's working on putting together a writer's room to work with Tarantino to develop a script around his idea, with the end goal of Tarantino in the director's chair on the next Star Trek movie, with Abrams producing.
The director told Nerdist that, given the choice, he would prefer to direct a Star Trek film over Star Wars.
In 2015, Tarantino said he was a fan of the original TV series. In particular, he said, "You could take some of the great classic Star Trek episodes and easily expand them to ninety minutes or more and really do some awesome stuff!"
The Kill Bill filmmaker tends to write and direct his own original ideas on the big screen, most recently taking on the Western genre with his last two films Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight. "You could take some of the classic Star Trek episodes and easily expand them to 90 minutes or more and really do some incredible, wonderful stuff".
Speaking to Nerdist about his love of "Star Trek" and vision for a potential full-length movie back in 2015, Tarantino said: "The only thing that limited them was their '60s budget and eight-day shooting schedule.You could take some of the classic Star Trek episodes and easily expand them to 90 minutes or more and really do some unbelievable, wonderful stuff". This means that the next Star Trek film might require a new source of funding before it could be greenlit.
If the project comes to fruition, it will be the first time that Tarantino - best known for his violent dramas Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs - has worked on a mainstream film franchise. He has directed episodes of television shows ("CSI" and "ER"), but only ever mused about doing the same with movies like James Bond.
- Steinhoff shares plunge 66% as CEO quits amid accounting scandal
- Japan Airlines pumps millions into supersonic passenger jet
- Amazon launches Prime Now in Singapore
- Fifty-Eight House Democrats Vote to Proceed with Impeachment
- Body of woman who vanished after Tinder date found
- Nintendo games remastered for Nvidia Shield in China
- Instagram lets you Archive and Highlight your favorite expired Stories
- Met Éireann issues snow-ice warning for country
- Mueller's Trump Finances Subpoena Was Never Sent, Here's Why
- Google will rescue bike-riders caught in traffic jams