The IOC also banned Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko for life over his involvement in the scandal - he was the Russian Sports Minister during the Sochi Games. A week later, Russian athletics chief and the treasurer of world athletics body IAAF, Valentin Balakhnichev, and IAAF marketing consultant Pape Massata Diack, son of then-IAAF president Lamine Diack, step down.
Rodchenkov's testimony, bolstered by two other Russian whistleblowers, has been supported by a series of investigations by the World Anti-Doping Agency since late 2015.
The absence of Russian athletes would sap many events of top competitors.
"These invited athletes will participate, be it in individual or team competitions, under the name 'Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)'".
WADA's second report into doping and corruption is published.
The commission said that the system progressed along with anti-doping technologies.
In December of 2016, an extensive report found that roughly 1,000 Russian athletes were part of an "institutional conspiracy" involving doping.
Ultimately, the IOC's acceptance of the evidence that Russian had run the system led it to a different decision than it reached a year ago when it sought to balance collective responsibility with individual justice. Afterwards, the program covered the costs of the manipulation of the doping tests.
The investigation finds the FSB helped "the state-dictated failsafe system" carried out by the sports ministry and covering 30 sports. This was reported on the website of the International Olympic Committee. The IOC is set to decide later on the level of Russia's participation in the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics as calls to ban the country over suspected state-sponsored doping grow louder. One Russian was cleared.
The Olympic and Russian flaghs at the closing ceremony of the Sochi Winter Games in 2014.
"An Olympic boycott has never achieved anything", IOC President Thomas Bach said at a news conference. Russian President Vladimir Putin has previously said it would be humiliating to compete without national symbols.
Banning an entire country from the Games is an unprecedented move for the IOC.
In the space of one month the International Olympic Committee dishes out similar sanctions to 25 Russians from Sochi Games. They've taken away 11 of Russia's 33 medals.
"We will have to discuss this decision", he said.
Putin said in October that both a blanket ban and allowing Russian Federation to compete under a neutral flag would be "humiliation for the country".
- United States defence secy Mattis lands in Pakistan
- Qualcomm Announces Always Connected Platform for Windows Devices
- Trump formally endorses Roy Moore's campaign
- No. 2 Sooners bound for Rose Bowl, will face No. 3 Georgia
- Avoid using anti-virus software linked to Russian Federation , warns cybersecurity expert
- Two More Maltese Suspects Arrested In Daphne Caruana Galizia Assassination Investigation
- Jasprit Bumrah earns maiden India Test call-up ahead of South Africa series
- Jimbo Fisher gets $75 million deal to coach Texas A&M
- YouTube To Deploy Reviewers To Filter Extremist, Disturbing Videos
- Ex-president of Yemen killed by rebels