The police officer was serving a warrant when he was shot and killed in Texas Monday, authorities said..
Another officer rushed Copeland to the Central Texas Medical Center in San Marcos, where medical staff worked to save his life. The unidentified suspect shot at all officers on the scene, but Copeland was the only one hit - and the bullets struck parts of his body unprotected by body armor.
The officer was wearing a protective vest and was taken to Central Texas Medical Center for treatment. The suspect was shot during the standoff and has been transported to an Austin hospital.
At a news conference, Police Chief Chase Stapp said Copeland had been with the department for 19 years.
Mettz, 51, owns the home at 177 Valero Dr., which is in the El Camino Real subdivision in southern San Marcos, off of Old Bastrop Road, according to the Hays County Appraisal District. Children who were on school buses getting ready to leave for the day were brought back inside.
"His picture is hanging in different parts of this police department because everybody here loved him", he added.
City leaders also say they're committed to celebrating Officer Copeland's life and legacy. The chief declined to offer further details about the nature of the shooting or the arrest warrant Copeland was serving.
In a separate statement, the governor said, "Today we grieve for the family of the fallen San Marcos police officer, and we vow swift justice for the killer".
The school was locked down after the shooting. "We remember the sacrifices our men and women in law enforcement make every day".
- Venezuela's Maduro, under pressure from United States sanctions, vows to launch cryptocurrency
- Supermoon lights up the sky
- Warriors' Stephen Curry seriously hurts ankle in win against Pelicans
- Rob Gronkowski suspended one game
- YouTube To Deploy Reviewers To Filter Extremist, Disturbing Videos
- Kevin Durant, DeMarcus Cousins Ejected Amid Testy Warriors-Pelicans Tussle
- John Conyers will leave Congress in wake of harassment claims
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Jasprit Bumrah earns maiden India Test call-up ahead of South Africa series
- Ex-president of Yemen killed by rebels