Authorities said the school was placed on lockdown and was later evacuated by bus to take students to another location where they could be reunited with their parents. It wasn't immediately clear if the shooting happened inside the school, who was suspected of firing the shots and what condition the wounded were in. There were no other injuries reported, state police added.
"Our hearts break for the victims and their families", New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas said in a statement. Parents are able to pick up their children at 516 and Mesa Verde, after they are checked in and accounted for.
Aztec is a rural community of 6,500 people in the heart of northwestern New Mexico's oil and gas country and near the Navajo Nation.
Deputies with the sheriff's office and surrounding police departments responded to the school after reports of a shooting. That was confirmed shortly after by San Juan County Sheriff Ken Christesen.
- Amazon Prime Video finally comes to Apple TV
- Google removes Chrome Apps from Web Store, pushes to PWAs
- Amazon Prime Video now available on Apple TV in around 100 countries
- Junket tourism
- Overwatch Gets Yeti Boss Fight
- Xiaomi Redmi 5A Sale Debuts in India from 12 PM IST
- Eminem's 'Revival' to feature Beyonce, Ed Sheeran, Alicia Keys and Pink
- Mecklenburg County won't pay hacker, Kinston had previous ransomware attack
- London Mayor Sadiq Khan arrives in Pakistan
- Airlines are banning 'smart' luggage