Authorities said the school was placed on lockdown and was later evacuated by bus to take students to another location where they could be reunited with their parents. It wasn't immediately clear if the shooting happened inside the school, who was suspected of firing the shots and what condition the wounded were in. There were no other injuries reported, state police added.
"Our hearts break for the victims and their families", New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas said in a statement. Parents are able to pick up their children at 516 and Mesa Verde, after they are checked in and accounted for.
Aztec is a rural community of 6,500 people in the heart of northwestern New Mexico's oil and gas country and near the Navajo Nation.
Deputies with the sheriff's office and surrounding police departments responded to the school after reports of a shooting. That was confirmed shortly after by San Juan County Sheriff Ken Christesen.
- Ball Brothers Sign With Agent And Will Apparently Try To Play Overseas
- PUBG About To Double Its Number Of Map
- Google removes Chrome Apps from Web Store, pushes to PWAs
- Travolta guns for wider release of 'Gotti,' buys back biopic
- Airlines are banning 'smart' luggage
- Apple reveals the most popular apps, movies and music of 2017
- Xiaomi Redmi 5A Sale Debuts in India from 12 PM IST
- Sophie Turner says Game of Thrones season 8 will premiere in 2019
- Amazon Prime Video now available on Apple TV in around 100 countries
- Mecklenburg County won't pay hacker, Kinston had previous ransomware attack