More than a dozen legislators are also expected to take oath of office at the ceremony to be presided over by Governor OP Kohli.
The duo's return to the roles they had in the previous state government ended speculation of a change of guard in Gujarat which the BJP only managed to retain with a simple majority earlier this month.
Prominent dignitaries who attended the oath-taking ceremony included BJP veteran LK Advani, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath and Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis. Since 2012 he has been a cabinet Minister.
In forming his council of ministers - which obviously would have been vetted first by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah - Rupani has sought to rope in representatives of various communities of the state instead of chalking out a lion's share of berths for Patels to appease the Patidar community. Patel's continuance as Rupani's deputy indicates that the influential Patidar community will be well represented in the new Gujarat government.
Other ministers of the new cabinet will also take the oath. Nitin Patel will work as the deputy Chief Minister of the state.
After the oath ceremony, Modi took to Twitter assuring the people of Gujarat that the BJP government will leave no stone unturned in further developing the state, which the party has ruled since 1995.
In other reports, a labourer died and two got injured while setting up a stage at New Secretariat complex for Vijay Rupani's swearing-in ceremony. The bond between Gujarat and BJP is extremely special.
Sources said senior party leaders of Gujarat including Rupani, Patel and state BJP chief Jitu Vaghani had a meeting with Amit Shah on Monday to finalize the names for the new cabinet. "I am confident that Gujarat will continue its forward march on road to development and prosperity under the able leadership of Rupani".
- Lorde set to perform in Russian Federation after canceling Israel concert
- Lightning Boult destroys Windies as New Zealand clinch series
- Winter Weather Advisory in effect for Christmas Eve, be careful traveling
- J&K encounter: Top JeM militant Noor Mohammad killed
- Serena Williams to make a comeback! Here is where and when
- Chelsea urged to make this signing in January transfer window
- Churches hold special Christmas Eve services
- Korea condemns new United Nations sanctions resolution as act of war
- Virgil Van Dijk missing again as Southampton prepare £60m sale
- Snow and blowing snow will slow Christmas Day travel