Kraigg Brathwaite was not out 45 with Shai Hope on 14.
Three balls after registering 1000 test runs Roston Chase had his poles rattled by one de Grandhomme got to move away a touch, then poor old Sunil Ambris was unbelievably out hit wicket for the second time in just his third test innings, stepping on his stumps in a carbon copy of his first-ball dismissal on debut in Wellington.
At stumps they were 215-8, trailing New Zealand by 158 runs, with Reifer not out 22 and Miguel Cummins 10 not out.
In that match, the West Indies were 59-0 in their first innings before being bowled out for 134 and 257-3 in their second innings before being dismissed for 319. And West Indies has only way to make a draw by winning the 2nd match because they lost the first Test.
But just as the visitors sensed batting time, it was deja vu, and this time in more punishing fashion.
He looked extremely comfortable playing the pull shot on the few occasions the West Indies bowlers dropped short.
Earlier Sunday, a quickfire last-wicket partnership of 61 in 41 minutes between Southee and Boult strengthened New Zealand's overnight position. The opening partnership between Brathwaite and Powell.
Boult finished with four for 73 - and is now up to 198 test wickets - with Tim Southee, Colin de Grandhomme and Neil Wagner taking two each.
"Obviously the runs we scored this morning and having then eight down tonight was a pretty good effort", Southee said.
Between these two hit-wicket dismissals, he played another innings in his debut Test where he became the third player in Test history to score his first career runs with a six.
- Baker Mayfield wins Heisman Trophy
- Bitcoin surges past $15000 because why not
- Delhi Max hospital licence cancelled after newborn baby dies
- Ryan Reynolds To Play Detective Pikachu In Pokémon Live-Action Film
- Abbas snubs US Vice President Pence over Jerusalem move
- Marvel's Jessica Jones season 2 release date announced in new trailer
- Blitzboks disappoint as Kiwis win Cape Town Sevens
- First look at Jessica Chastain in X-Men: Dark Phoenix
- Queen Biopic Finds New Director After Bryan Singer's Firing
- 'Jhakaas' Anil Kapoor joins Salman Khan on Race 3 sets