The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), which initiated the mega demolition drive two days back, has chose to adopt a strict stand and not heed to requests by pubs and hotel owners to delay the action in view of New Year celebrations.
She made it clear that one can't blame the Police, also responsible for giving permissions to restaurants and pubs, for the Kamala Mills blaze, and that they generally do a great job. The police said they were in the process of issuing lookout notices against other accused as well.
Civic officials inspected 615 establishments and initiated action against 355 hotels, restaurants and pubs for the illegalities till yesterday, the BMC said.
Mumbai: Mumbai's civic body launched a fire safety drive a day after a blaze killed 14 people at an upscale dining spot, razing illegal structures at 314 sites and sealing seven hotels, the upcoming New Year revelries adding urgency to the crackdown. Further, the local municipal officials have taken immediate actions by demolishing the illegal constructions across Mumbai.
The incident, in which 11 women and two US-based men were killed, happened at a popular pub and restaurant called Mojo's Bistro and One Above in the commercial complex Kamala Mills at Lower Parel in Mumbai. "They used this open space to illegally serve customers", he said.
Designated officer of G-south ward Madhukar Shelar, sub-engineer of the ward Dinesh Mahale, Junior Engineer Dhanraj Shinde, Medical Officer of Health of the ward Dr Satish Badgire, and Assistant Divisional Fire Officer S S Shinde are the five suspended.
City BJP chief Ashish Shelar demanded an inquiry into the fire safety measures at buildings in the Kamala Mills Compound. According to reports, some portion of the rooftop restaurant "1 Above", where the fire broke out, was illegal. The housing and urban affairs minister said rampant construction and flouting of fire and safety norms was turning the national capital into tinderbox. My thoughts are with the bereaved families in this hour of grief.
- New Poll: Majority of Americans Oppose Federal Intervention on Marijuana
- Health officials warn of widespread flu cases
- Judges angry about functioning of India's Supreme Court
- Mom of the Boy Featured in H&M's Controversial Ad Speaks Out
- USA core inflation hits 11-month high
- Karni Sena protests outside CBFC office in Mumbai; members detained
- Dark Souls: Remastered Announced, Coming May 25
- Sam's Club to close seven Illinois locations
- Stop Driving Notice : 2006 Ford Ranger Vehicles
- Trump says he doesn't think Winfrey will run