Woodson is the only player who played primarily on defense to win the Heisman Trophy when the cornerback won the award and later helped the Wolverines win a share of the national championship.
The inductees will be permanently enshrined at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta later that December and honored on the field during the 14th Annual National Hall of Fame Salute during the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.
The deep class also includes 1997 Heisman Trophy recipient Charles Woodson of MI (1995-97) along with Miami safety Ed Reed (1998-2001) and Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson (2004-06).
He coached Murray State from 1981-1986 and Virginia Tech from 1987-2015.
The rest of the class will be unveiled tomorrow during the College Football Playoff national championship, with an induction ceremony planned for December 4 in NY.
He is the 34th player or coach from MI to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.
The other members are Trevor Cobb (Rice), Kerry Collins (Penn State), Dave Dickenson (Montana), Dana Howard (Illinois), Paul Palmer (Temple), Matt Stinchcomb (Georgia), Aaron Taylor (Nebraska), and former coach Mel Tjeerdsma (Austin College and Northwestern Missouri State).
Reed played safety for the Hurricanes and aided in the club winning the national championship in 2001.
Dickenson remains the all-time leading passer for the Grizzlies while holding 28 school records. The Bearcats went 183-43 and won three NCAA Division II national championships during his tenure.
Get daily prep sports headlines from the Gwinnett Daily Post staff delivered to your email.
- Princess Charlotte's First Day of School Photos Are the Most Adorable
- Oil prices rebound after USA drilling pullback
- Ex-engineer sues Google for discriminating against conservative white males
- 'Google Pay' is Here to Rebrand Company's Payment Solutions
- Shrewsbury Town earn deserved replay against West Ham United
- Lana Del Rey confirms that she is being sued by Radiohead
- Nvidia is launching a line of massive 65-inch gaming displays
- Gas Prices Rise 0.6 Cents In Chattanooga
- Third floor of Mumbai Sessions court charred in fire, no casualties
- American Red Cross: Critical Need for Donors