The only good news is that The Mayor could be shopped around and picked up by another network or streaming service, so there could be a comeback in the future... maybe.
The network has pulled the series from its Tuesday 9:30 p.m. time slot which will now be filled with reruns of Modern Family, Entertainment Weekly reported. ABC has no plans to air the remaining four episodes of season one, despite ordering three additional backup scripts in December.
It should be said that all hope is not lost for The Mayor.
Variety reports that the show, starring Brandon Micheal Hall as a hip-hop artist who is elected mayor, is "effectively canceled". Hulu, a joint venture with Disney, has stacking rights to the series. The show was originally slated to return from midseason hiatus on January 9 with four remaining episodes, Variety reported.
Hamilton star and Clipping vocalist Daveed Diggs executive produced The Mayor. It is reported that ABC Studios plans to shop the series elsewhere, with Hulu now holding the stacking rights to the comedy. This year will see the debut of the Roseanne revival, the family comedy Splitting Up, and Zach Braff's Alex, Inc.
Per The Hollywood Reporter, the studio will try to find a new home for the show, which earned mostly positive reviews but never quite caught on with audiences. ABC also has the dramas The Crossing, Deception, Shondaland's For the People, and the Grey's Anatomy spinoff all still left to schedule.
- Karnataka Assembly elections 2018: Yogi, Siddaramaiah engage in Twitter war
- NFL Wild Card Betting: Is Bills vs. Jaguars a Total Mismatch? 1/7/18
- U.S. border guards searched 60 percent more devices in 2017
- No relief until Tuesday as Sydney swelters in 47.3 degree heat
- China Says 32 People, Mostly Iranians, Missing After Oil Tanker Collision
- Steve Bannon Apologizes For Anti-Trump Comments in Michael Wolff Book
- Malaysia approves new search for missing airliner
- LaVar Ball Says Lakers No Longer Want To Play for Luke Walton
- After Outcry Over Saffron, UP Haj House Repainted In White Colour
- Man dead and woman injured after Stockholm metro station blast