Last year, Apple said December 2016 was the App Store's biggest month ever, bringing in $3 billion in revenue; this year, it doesn't seem to have broken out the monthly data for December (though we've asked for it).
As for how the overall app economy is doing, Apple notes that iOS developers over the last 12 months raked in $26.5 billion, a figure which is 30% higher than what iOS developers earned in 2016.
Consumers spent more than $890m over the seven days starting on Christmas Eve.
Since the App Store launched in July 2008, iOS developers have earned over $86 billion. Other popular apps installed often previous year were meditation app Calm, video editor Enlight Videoleap, password manager 1Password and streaming video provider Hulu. Subscriptions that run for more than a year give developers 85% of the revenue generated with Apple taking the remaining 15%. A record $300 million in purchases were made on New Year's Day 2018 alone.
"We are thrilled with the reaction to the new App Store and to see so many customers discovering and enjoying new apps and games", Phil Schiller said in a prepared statement.
In December, Pokémon Go went to the top of the App Store charts after receiving an update which included part of the game being built around Apple's ARKit framework which provides a more detailed and realistic gameplay.
The App Store has been vital to Apple's sales of both devices and the commission-generating programs and services made for them. These include CSR Racing 2, Stack AR, Amazon, Night Sky, Pitu, Snapchat, etc.
- Three more flu-related deaths reported in Dallas
- Giannis Antetokounmpo tops LeBron James in early All-Star voting ballots
- Man Allegedly Sexually Assaulted Woman On Flight While She Slept
- Tesla still breaking records but missing targets
- Exynos 9810: specs emerge for Galaxy S9 chip
- SpaceX releases video of world's most powerful rocket ready for liftoff
- Serena Williams reveals real reason for pulling out of the Australian Open
- First Blue Moon total eclipse in 150 years to occur this month
- Pregnant Khloe Kardashian Heads to a Meeting After 'Ellen' Appearance!
- JFK Airport in NYC Shuts Down Completely, It Says