The company is already facing lawsuits from three plaintiffs in the United States who have claimed that Apple failed to inform them about the processor throttling and that such enforced slowdowns were unethical and deceptive - an attempt to force people into upgrading.
It all comes after it emerged Apple was deliberately throttling CPU speeds on iPhones with aging batteries.
Following its apology for slowing down the iPhone for performance issues - Apple has jumpstarted its new $29 battery replacement program for the iPhone 6 and later models. Controversy began in December, over iOS being programmed to artificially limit the processing capabilities of older iPhones when their batteries were deemed insufficiently powerful to keep up with maximum performance.
Over time, batteries lose their normal capacity to hold the charge. However, if you fix your iPhone yourself, it's Apple's policy to refuse to fix your iPhone in the future if something else breaks.
It claimed it was doing this in order to prevent processors from demanding too much power from older and degraded Lithium-ion battery packs.
We've already told you how to go about replacing the battery of your old iPhone (the full instructions are right here), and it should all be a reasonably painless experience. But as part of the current situation, Apple is replacing batteries for eligible phones even if they pass a diagnostic test, according to website MacRumors. That's a nice price cut from the previous $79 replacement cost, making battery replacements easily affordable - certainly more affordable than a brand-new iPhone.
But for Apple's $29 battery replacement mea culpa, Apple has reportedly made a decision to waive those test results. The only sign of a potential battery problem is hidden under Settings Battery (in iOS 10.2.1 and higher), where you could see a message saying your phone's battery needs to be serviced.
To get your device back up and running in tip top shape, simply follow the steps below. It's an inconvenience, but only takes a little bit of time and ensures that your phone will be restored to the way it was once they replace an old iPhone battery. If you're not close by, there's also an option for you to mail your phone in for repairs.
- Two arrested in murder of mother, kids, partner in Troy, New York
- Packers Strip Ted Thompson Of GM Duties, Fire A Few Coaches
- Flood Warning For Clare As Storm Eleanor Approaches
- Lorde accused of antisemitism in newspaper ad after cancelling Israel concert
- America Ferrera and husband Ryan Piers Williams are having a baby
- Jessica Alba welcomed baby on New Year's Eve
- Hollywood actresses launch Time's Up, to help fight sexual harassment at workplace
- A Series Of Unfortunate Events Season 2 Teaser & Premiere Date Revealed!
- Samsung Galaxy A8 now available for pre-order in South Korea
- Consensus eludes triple talaq Bill; legislation not tabled in RS