Tyler Barriss, 25, was booked by Sedgwick County police on Thursday after being extradited from California.
According to jail records in Los Angeles, Barriss was released to Kansas authorities at 8:53 a.m.
The Los Angeles man at the center of what is believed to be the first fatal "swatting" incident in the USA has been charged with manslaughter in connection with a hoax phone call that led to a deadly shooting in Kansas, records show. Barriss has also been charged with reporting a false alarm, and interference with a law enforcement officer.
The man accused of placing a "swatting" call that led to the deadly officer-involved shooting in Wichita has been booked into the Sedgwick County Jail.
A message left for the local public defender's office wasn't immediately returned. Instead, Andrew Finch, 28, opened his front door when he saw police lights outside and didn't know why. Police have said he moved a hand toward his waistband and an officer, fearing he was reaching for a gun, fired a single shot and killed him. "He doesn't play video games", Finch said.
It wasn't known that week what charges Barriss could face in Kansas.
Swatting is the act of making a fake emergency call in an attempt to get officer to respond to someone's address.
Several players later took to Twitter claiming that one gamer had made the call, but rather than giving his own address, he gave what he thought was the address of the other player with whom he had been arguing.
Reports say Barriss was called by someone after a feud between two Call of Duty players broke out over a virtual "friendly kill" during a game earlier that day.
The Calgary Police Service allege that Barriss called 911 at about 7:40 p.m. on December 22 and told an operator he killed his father and was holding his mother and younger brother hostage in the 2300 block of 17b Street S.W.
- Nadal, Federer seeded 1st and 2nd for Australian Open
- Flu has killed 20 children already this season
- Chinese courts decide against Samsung in Huawei patent battle
- Sam's Club To Close 63 Locations
- Conte eyes Chelsea exit, ex-Barcelona boss on shortlist to replace him
- Freeland hails Trump's 'sensible' suggestion of NAFTA talks extension
- Bangladeshi immigrant indicted in failed pipe bombing at Port Authority
- LeBron Puts His Cavaliers Teammates on Notice Following Loss
- Jaguars vs Steelers odds: point spread, AFC prediction, preview and picks
- Turkey summons US Chargé d'Affaires over Syria issue