As the previous Best Actor victor, Academy tradition would hold that Affleck presents the award for Best Actress at this year's ceremony.
In response to Affleck's withdrawal, an Academy spokesperson issued a statement, saying, "We appreciate the decision to keep the focus on the show and the great work of this year". Affleck, who won the best actor award for his role in "Manchester By the Sea", will not be presenting at the 90th Academy Awards.
Amid the Times Up movement, Affleck presenting may have also caused a stir.
In 2010, two women who worked on Affleck's film "I'm Still Here" filed sexual harassment lawsuits against him for "uninvited and unwelcome sexual advances in the workplace".
"Casey Affleck poses backstage with his Best Male Lead award for 'Manchester by the Sea" at the 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards in Santa Monica, California, U.S., February 25, 2017.
At the 81st Oscars, for example, each of the four acting awards were presented by a quintet of past Academy Award Winners. The actor, younger brother of Oscar victor Ben Affleck, starred, directed and co-wrote the mockumentary film about actor Joaquin Phoenix's desire to pursue a music career.
In an interview with the Boston Globe after his Oscar win in 2017, Affleck said those involved in the lawsuits, including himself, were barred from commenting on them, and that the public didn't know the full details of the cases. "The specter of Affleck presenting would have created controversy", Fleming added. Traditionally, the reigning best actor victor returns to present the best actress award.
Affleck's representatives confirmed to CNN that he will not be attending this year's Academy Awards, which takes place on March 4.
- Status Orange Weather Warning Issued For Kildare
- Special counsel questions Sessions
- Donovan Mitchell to Participate in 2018 MTN Dew Kickstart Rising Stars Challenge
- South Korea is banning anonymous cryptocurrency trading from 30 January
- Phoenix high-speed chase ends in crash
- USA federal employees to return after lawmakers end government shutdown
- Mummified woman was seven-time great grandmother of Boris Johnson
- Apple could be gearing to kill off the MacBook Air
- National Basketball Association wants regulated sports betting market, for a price
- South Korea to file complaint to WTO over US safeguard measures