The new HMI also allows drivers to "log-in" to the vehicle using face and voice recognition thanks to technology developed with Amazon Web Services (AWS).
As mention at the start, Kia's "ACE" strategy involves three components, where autonomous involves the company planning to commercialise Level 4 autonomous driving technology.
Kia's best-selling model in overseas markets was the Sportage compact SUV with 415,558 units sold. Whenever the system detects pedestrians or cyclists, the vehicle plays an audible warning focussed specifically at the person to warn them of the vehicle's movement.
That power is a 150 kW electric motor, running off a 64 kWh lithium-polymer battery pack.
Like much of the Korean carmaker's current line-up, the new EV features stand-out styling - while not opting for the sci-fi look that many competitors have adopted for their own battery-based models.
Kia Motors Corporation has announced its December 2017 global sales figures for passenger cars, recreational vehicles (RVs) and commercial vehicles, recording a total of 226,842 units sold.
CES has also provided Kia with an opportunity to showcase its upcoming technologies with displays exhibiting its latest autonomous driving technologies, interactive features and a world first in-car 5G connection. "As they rapidly become a reality, Kia is exploring how to adapt these new technologies for its customers", said Dr. Woong-cheol Yang, vice chairman and head of Hyundai-Kia R&D Centre.
A new Active Pedestrian Warning System (APWS) builds on the now-de-rigeur combination of front-facing cameras by throwing in object recognition software and speakers mounted at the front of the Niro EV Concept. These "Smart City" autonomous vehicles will commence testing later in 2021.
Kia also wants to adopt connected vehicle technologies across every segment in its range by 2025.
The manufacturer already has one of the largest plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles presences of any manufacturer, and is looking to further this with the announcement of 16 new electric vehicles by 2025.
Before that, meanwhile, there'll be an expansion of Kia's WiBLE vehicle sharing service.
- Hyundai Unveils Nexo Fuel-Cell SUV With New Driver Aids at CES
- Google honours Nobel laureate Har Gobind Khorana with a doodle
- Takata adds 3.3M faulty airbag devices to largest recall in history
- Dickerson Set to Replace Rose on 'CBS This Morning'
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Wins the Best Smartphone Award of 2017
- Where to Watch Overwatch League
- Razer's Project Linda Turns Your Razer Phone into a Laptop PC
- Green turtles face extinction
- Jon Gruden introduced as Oakland Raiders head coach
- Trump skips parts of national anthem at football game