Manning's filing was received January 11, according to Federal Election Commission records. Now it looks like she'll be running for Senate.
After it surfaced that Citizen Manning was filing for the senator election campaign in Maryland, thousands indicated that they would unsubscribe from those who refused to support Manning's bold aspirations, thus lauding Chelsea's efforts to fight total government secrecy. Cardin has an approval rate of 50 percent, according to the latest figures cited by the Baltimore Sun, and will face Manning and three other candidates in the upcoming primary.
Manning, now 30, was an army intelligence analyst sentenced to 35 years in prison in 2013 for leaking more than 700,000 classified documents related to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. She was released from military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas past year.
Manning could not immediately be reached for comment. While Manning is originally from Oklahoma, Cardin has deep ties in Maryland, where he served in the Maryland House of Delegates for 20 years before taking the seat of retired Sen.
Current leader Donald Trump, however, has labelled her an "ungrateful traitor", arguing that she "should never have been released from prison". Despite her criminal record, can she run for U.S. Senate? Maryland is considered a safely Democratic state for this year's Senate race. She said she might release a statement in the coming days.
Manning's high-profile leak drew media coverage around the world.
Three years later, Manning was convicted of multiple counts, including violating the Espionage Act, and received a lengthy sentence. She was placed in solitary confinement after twice trying to kill herself.
The case and Manning herself continue to be politically divisive in the United States.
During her incarceration Manning battled for, and won, the right to start hormone treatment.
- Bangladeshi immigrant indicted in failed pipe bombing at Port Authority
- Is Kylie Jenner in Labor? Fans Are Convinced She Is!
- Jaguars vs Steelers odds: point spread, AFC prediction, preview and picks
- Junket tourism
- Detective Pikachu amiibo and game announced for North America
- More Trump allegations after report lawyer paid porn star
- Romelu Lukaku news hands Man Utd another welcome boost
- Flu has killed 20 children already this season
- Trump Exempts Florida from Offshore Drilling
- Sam's Club To Close 63 Locations