"I can't comment on what happened at the Institute of Legal Medicine but three doctors have seen clinical signs of death so it's still not clear at the moment exactly why this occurred", the spokesman added.
Gonzalo Montoya Jimenez, an inmate at a jail in the Asturia region, woke up just hours before his post-mortem examinination after guards believed he had died in his cell in the morning.
His family questioned why three prison doctors were led to believe the 50-year-old was dead Saturday.
When Jiménez was "resurrected", the first thing he did was ask for his wife. Jimenez was transferred to a hospital and is reportedly in stable condition.
Jiménez's family was informed that he had died and his body was taken to the mortuary at the Forensic Anatomical Institute of Oviedo. "It's clear that in the jail they do not supervise him nor treat him well", he told El Comercio, adding that his son was given "pills for his nerves, but it was not enough".
And despite three medical officers signing a death certificate, the hospital spokesman confirmed the prisoner was now being treated in intensive care and is recovering in the hospital.
He failed to show for the prison's morning count in the most unsafe section of the prison and appeared to be suffering from rigor mortis, having no pulse when found.
Police have opened investigations into his mysterious case, while tests have since indicated his coma was caused by an overdose of drugs, along with severe hypothermia, which may have masked his vital signs. "If he goes in, he will come out as a body", Mr Montoya said.
Gonzalo Montoya Jiménez was only hours away from his chest being opened by doctors who had scheduled an autopsy after his "apparent death" on Sunday. Shocked by his nephew's suicide attempt, he said he nevertheless understood it.
- Gerrit Cole trade to the Houston Astros is 'imminent'
- Serena Williams opens up about childbirth nightmare of blood clots
- HP issues laptop recall over battery blaze fears
- INEC Announces Timetable for 2019 Elections
- Alabama RB Bo Scarbrough leaving school early, headed to National Football League , source says
- Toyota, Mazda plan to build factory in Alabama
- OJ Simpson responds to claim he's Khloe Kardashian's biological father
- Chelsea vs. Arsenal, League Cup semifinal 1st leg: Half-time report
- National Anthem No Longer Compulsory in Indian Cinemas
- Matt Patricia's head coaching preferred destination revealed