In fact, the decision to move the embassy to Nine Elms in south London was made by the George W. Bush Administration.
Mr Trump was also scheduled to hold talks with Mrs May in No 10, with February 26 and 27 marked in the diary.
Despite the cancellation, Trump is still expected to visit later this year, with a Downing Street saying: "An invitation for a state visit has been extended and accepted". He refused to attend the building's opening ceremony.
The message came after May's official spokesperson condemned him for retweeting several anti-Muslim videos posted by the deputy leader of a British far-right group, Britain First.
At the time, the PM said Trump was "wrong" to retweet the videos, and the USA president hit back at May on Twitter by telling her to focus on "destructive radical Islamic terrorism" in the United Kingdom, rather than on him.
No firm date for a state visit had ever been agreed, however, nor had the White House "nailed down the details of the trip" BBC diplomatic correspondent James Landale said.
Trump weighed in after multiple media outlets in the United Kingdom reported that he was leaning against a trip to open the new US facility in Nine Elms, south-west London.
Activists had pledged mass demonstrations and some Members of Parliament were determined not to give Trump the opportunity to address the legislative body, according to the report.
The $1 billion construction, overlooking the River Thames, was wholly funded by the sale of other properties in London.
"You are making America great again" President Moon Jae-in told Mr Trump - echoing his famous campaign slogan.
Last month Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn called for his supporters to go out in force to send Mr Trump a "clear message" that he is not welcome if he comes to the UK.
- Iran nuclear deal worth keeping
- Donald Trump Reveals 'Norway Has This Thing Called Water'
- Kremlin bashes Senate Dems' report accusing Russian Federation of election meddling
- SC overturns order, national anthem not must in cinema halls
- James Franco New York Times Event Canceled
- Facebook to Shuts Down it's Virtual Assistant M
- Junket tourism
- Louisans among those waiting for Trump tell-all 'Fire and Fury'
- Nicole Kidman snubs her adopted kids
- Is Akash Dadlani out of Bigg Boss?