Photographs which show the destruction caused by a huge fire that destroyed up to 1,600 vehicles in a city centre auto park have been released.
Witnesses described abandoning their vehicles, grabbing possessions and running for their lives after the blaze broke out in an old Land Rover and rapidly spread.
Rows of burnt-out cars are visible in the seven-storey building at the Liverpool Echo Arena which was engulfed in a 1,000C inferno on New Year's Eve after a Land Rover burst into flames.
Liverpool City Council opened a reception centre for people who were unable to get home because of the blaze.
A huge blaze has destroyed up to 1,400 vehicles in a multi-storey auto park in the northern English city of Liverpool.
"The flames were just shooting out of the engine and coming past the tires", Bright said. We just left everything in the auto - handbags, telephone, cash - and just went.
The popular horse show was cancelled because of the fire, which was brought under control early on Monday morning (Monday night NZ Time). "I saw one auto on fire but it was clear it was ferocious and spreading".
Nearby apartments and hotels were also evacuated as 12 fire engines were scrambled to the auto park at around 4.40pm on New Year's Eve.
The area was evacuated along with some apartments nearby due to smoke billowing from the blaze.
Witnesses saw multiple fire engines and police cars rushing towards the arena, and Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that six engines were at the scene.
- Egypt: hot air balloon crashes, killing 1 tourist
- Justin Timberlake Announces New Album Titled 'Man of the Woods'
- Telegram now lets you add multiple accounts, give quick replies,
- Carrie Underwood Reveals She Suffered A Devastating Injury To Her Face
- Junket tourism
- Leicester will not rush Vardy return, says Puel
- Meet the U.S. twins born minutes apart but in two different years
- 'Near-blizzard' conditions possible Thursday, 5 to 8 inches of snow forecast
- Extreme Cold Forces Schools To Delay Opening On Tuesday
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?