Meanwhile, Met Eireann has issued a Status Orange severe wind weather alert for Kilkenny, due to the approach of Storm Eleanor.
Flying debris could lead to injuries or danger to life, while some damage to buildings is likely, it has said.
Power cuts and disruption to other services (mobile phones for example) may also occur.
A weather phenomenon known as a Sting Jet could rip through eastern England as Storm Eleanor rips across Britain.
Turning drier for a time this afternoon with a few showers, but further rain and strong wind arriving later.
In Cumbria the entirety of the county's coastline has been issued with an Environment Agency flood warning. Indeed, several people took to Twitter to share videos and pictures of flooding in and around the Galway area.
He added: "It could remain more unsettled in the south".
Tonight will be extremely windy and blustery in all areas overnight, with the strongest of the winds early tonight along the east coast and also in Atlantic coastal counties, with a risk of coastal flooding possible.
Police in North Yorkshire have warned drivers to be extra careful tonight and tomorrow.
Gale force winds are forecast for the festive week ahead. Road conditions can quickly deteriorate during very heavy rainfall, with drains becoming swamped or blocked and standing water causing surface spray, reduced visibility and potentially leading to flooding.
- Mega Millions jackpot reaches $363 million
- Two arrested in murder of mother, kids, partner in Troy, New York
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma go shopping in South Africa, here's the picture
- My Land, My Rules! New Zealanders Build 'Island' to Thwart Alcohol Ban
- America Ferrera and husband Ryan Piers Williams are having a baby
- Packers Strip Ted Thompson Of GM Duties, Fire A Few Coaches
- Texas police looking for missing girls who may have been abducted
- Georgia Beats Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma in 2OT Win in 2018 Rose Bowl
- Jessica Alba welcomed baby on New Year's Eve
- NFL Draft Order: Cowboys to select No. 19 in first round