The short break in winter-like weather in northern New England is over, with the return of cold temperatures starting this weekend.
Then, more snow is expected Sunday night through Monday morning, the weather service said.
Lows Saturday night will be in the mid-to-high teens with clear skies, according to the weather service. As it does, temperatures will drop, and an icy mix of sleet and freezing rain will develop. Most of the precipitation will turn over to snow showers by 8 a.m. EST.
There may be hazardous driving conditions as the freezing rain hits, especially on untreated services, the weather service says.
Friday, widespread, steady rain takes over as temperatures gradually fall from the 50s and 40s into this afternoon with a south wind gusting up to 30 miles per hour. Total accumulations will rain from 1 1/2 inches to 2 12 inches with locally higher amounts possible. Waves of rain will move across the state today, heavier this afternoon and evening, into Saturday morning.
Tonight, a chance of snow before 7 p.m., then a chance of snow showers after 7 p.m.
The rain alone may not be enough to cause flooding issues, but it will occur at the same time as a significant warm up, a week after frigid temperatures gripped the region and caused local waterways to be covered with ice.
In Virginia, skies will be partly sunny with temperatures dropping to 34 degrees by 5 p.m. Winds will be blowing 20 miles per hour with gusts as high as high as 32 miles per hour.
FRIDAY: Cloudy with rain. The forecast is calling for occasional rain throughout the day, but a winter weather advisory is going into effect at 6 p.m.
Skies will be mostly cloudy on Saturday, while the high will be about 37 degrees with southwesterly winds up to about 14 miles per hour. Wind chill values as low as minus 5 degrees.
Sunday calls for mostly sunny weather, with a high near 17 degrees. We'll get a pretty good shot of arctic air from the due north. Highs will only be in the mid to upper 20s and the wind chill will be in the single digits much of the day.
- Eliza Dushku A Stuntman Molested Me When I Was 12
- Djokovic sweats on fitness ahead of Australian
- Kris Bryant gets record first-year arbitration deal
- Israeli forces injure 40 Palestinians in West Bank
- WH's Miller Responds: CNN Has 'Very Low Journalistic Standards'
- Quick Take: Chinese Regulator Denies Curbing US Treasury Purchases
- Marcus Mariota strained his quad in first quarter
- OnePlus 5T is now available in Lava Red (but only in India)
- WVU's 15-game win streak snapped in narrow loss to Texas Tech
- Aftershocks hit Iran-Iraq border after deadly November natural disaster