According to Dallas County Health officials, those five people all lived in Dallas County.
Janet Hill, of the Rock Island County Health Department said that in IL, flu cases don't have to be reported to health departments, unless someone is in intensive care because of the flu. He said the virus thrives in the winter months with people staying indoors, allowing it to spread.
"H3N2 generally affects younger children and seniors", Dr. Werker said. "Just a little bit of extra distance between you and another person can be the difference between you getting sick or you getting someone else sick", said Mitchell.
Palomar Health Thursday announced that it will distribute its 150 remaining flu shots for free.
"With the increase in influenza impacting many communities across the entire state, it is important to get a flu shot now if you have not done so already", said CDPH Director and State Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith. It's able to prompt your immune system to make antibodies against the flu, so it's ready in case you encounter the real the thing.
"Nearly 13 percent of the people showing up to emergency rooms [in the Houston area] are due to flu-like symptoms", said Porfirio Villarreal, spokesperson, city of Houston Health Department.
While the flu shot isn't always effective, doctors say if you catch the flu and have had the shot the symptoms may be less severe.
The most recent numbers for Iowa show 78 new cases of the flu confirmed by the State Hygienic Laboratory and six new outbreaks in long-term care facilities.
According to the department's weekly influenza service report, there were high levels of influenza and influenza-like illness in Texas during the last week of 2017.
"We have a lot of patients that come in with the typical flu symptoms", Pharmacist Jarron Yee said. Of the 421 students with flu-like illness, 118 of them were confirmed flu cases. Babies, the elderly, pregnant women and those with chronic diseases should take special approaches to avoiding and dealing with the flu and should see their primary care provider for antiviral medication if they are ill, he said. Additionally 1,200 people have tested positive for influenza.
READ: Got the flu?
Although flu seasons vary, influenza activity typically increases in October and can last as late as May.
- Messi stars with brace as Barca cruise
- Walmart Raises Its Minimum Wage and Gives Bonuses
- Became known the cause of the loss of secret USA satellite
- Dark Souls: Remastered Announced, Coming May 25
- Sam's Club to close seven Illinois locations
- Home and Away actress Jessica Falkholt's life support turned off after crash
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Switch Port Announced, Release Date Set
- Queen's bra-fitter stripped of royal title after 'tell-all' book
- Owner says Mike Mularkey is Titans coach for next year
- DeLauro pushes CDC director for answers on E. coli outbreak