After filling in for Matt Lauer following his termination at the end of previous year, Hoda Kotb was just named a full-time "Today" co-anchor.
"They have an undeniable connection with each other and most importantly, with viewers, a hallmark of TODAY", the email said, adding that Kotb was "remarkable". She has often worked as a fill-in host during earlier hours of the "Today" show in the past, including on shows since Lauer was terminated. She has been co-hosting the 10 a.m. hour of "Today", a freewheeling talk show with Kathie Lee Gifford, since 2008.
"I'm pinching myself", she added.
"When you click with someone, man, woman, it doesn't matter".
Lack said Kotb "has the rare ability to share authentic and heartfelt moments in even the most hard news circumstances".
The transition from Lauer to Kotb has also been a leadership moment for Guthrie, who became a co-host of "Today" in 2012. "I think we should send some medics to Alexandria, Virginia, where my mom has likely fainted after hearing the open of that show". "It's a tribute to her wide range and her innate curiosity".
According to People, NBC News first presented the offer to Hoda Kotb before the holidays started, and it's obvious that she didn't take too long to offer a positive response.
Lauer's eventual replacement had always been the subject of internal angst but with a sudden decision forced upon the network, Kotb's performance made it easier. The show topped the ratings for ABC's "Good Morning America" in the first week of December - the first time that happened in three months.
"He texted me and he said congratulations and some really nice words, and it meant the world when I saw the text pop up", Kotb told Entertainment Tonight. "This is working, it feels good, '" she said.
- Two arrested in murder of mother, kids, partner in Troy, New York
- BJP condemns Tanveer Sait's statement oppossing instant triple talaq
- Packers Strip Ted Thompson Of GM Duties, Fire A Few Coaches
- Thick Fog engulfs Delhi-NCR, many trains and flights cancelled
- Lorde accused of antisemitism in newspaper ad after cancelling Israel concert
- NFL Draft Order: Cowboys to select No. 19 in first round
- Hollywood actresses launch Time's Up, to help fight sexual harassment at workplace
- My Land, My Rules! New Zealanders Build 'Island' to Thwart Alcohol Ban
- Texas police looking for missing girls who may have been abducted
- America Ferrera and husband Ryan Piers Williams are having a baby