The manufacturing Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) rose to 54.9 in December from 52.9 in November. It was also lower compared to the 55.7 reading posted a year earlier.
The index considers any score above 50 to be an improvement, while those below signify a contraction.
"Panellists commented on reduced volumes of new business".
"Malaysia's manufacturing sector observed a renewed decline in new orders at the end of the year".
Despite these additional resources and a slight uptick in stocks of finished goods, manufacturers' backlogs of work increased for an eighth successive month in December.
"With global growth expected to improve to a seven year high in 2018, we think that firms are right to be confident about their prospects for this year", Mr O'Sullivan said. In turn, new export orders rose at the quickest pace since June.
December's expansion was driven by a further uptick in new orders, which grew at the third-fastest rate in the survey's history and boosted jobs growth to record levels as the economy moves towards full employment. "Anecdotal evidence pointed to stronger market demand from home and worldwide markets", said Aashna Dodhia, economist at IHS Markit, which compiles the survey. Reflecting greater cost pressures, firms raised their output charges for the fifth month in succession.
Finally, the Future Output Index signalled the strongest level of confidence in three months, with more than one-in-five survey participants forecasting higher production.
Turning to margins, the report from Investec found that input costs rose at their fastest pace in nine months, with higher raw material costs widely mentioned by panellists.
"Businesses retained positive forecasts for outputover the next 12 months (on) projections of an improvement in underlying demand conditions", it noted.
- Patriots roll through Jets for quick touchdown
- James Harrison gets 2 sacks in Patriots debut and that's OK
- Pakistan summons U.S. ambassador over Trump's tweet
- Airport Delays Due to Nationwide CBP System Outages
- Browns' last chance for a win literally slipped through Corey Coleman's fingers
- Kevin De Bruyne stretchered off after wild Jason Puncheon challenge
- All 56 Of Harry Kane's Goals In 2017
- LG Preps an 88-Inch, 8K OLED TV for CES 2018
- Vegas sets early odds for Alabama-Georgia CFP national championship game
- Khabib Nurmagomedov calls out Conor McGregor after last night's victory