As James Franco was accepting his Golden Globe on Sunday night for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy, Twitter started buzzing with several women accusing him of sexual misconduct. After Franco reiterated that he supports the Time's Up campaign, he said that he hadn't read the tweets but "heard about them".
During the Golden Globes, scores of women in Hollywood dressed in black to show solidarity with sexual assault survivors, in addition to speaking praise to the Time's Up movement, which is putting the axe on abuse of power in entertainment.
Sarah Tither-Kaplan, a one of Franco's former students, also took to Twitter to state she was once paid $100 a day to appear fully nude in one of his projects - a deal that Tither-Kaplan said was exploitative, due to the vast power imbalance between the two parties. "Remember a few weeks ago when you told me the full nudity you had me do in two of your movies for $100/day wasn't exploitative because I signed a contract to do it?" I'm leaving my work and they're coming there. Sarah Tither-Kaplan said Franco treated her inappropriately while she was filming a nude scene for his film, and Ally Sheedy posted a cryptic message suggesting she left the TV industry because of his allegedly sick ways. "I think it's a good thing and I support it".
He also expressed confusion about some tweets from the actress Ally Sheedy. The two worked together on the 2014 off-Broadway production of The Long Shrift.
Later, feminist writer Jessica Valenti seconded Sheedy's obscure statement, saying, "Whatever I still remember James Franco trying to pick up a teenager on Instagram". "I have no idea why she was upset".
The TimesTalk event scheduled for Wednesday was meant to feature "The Disaster Artist" director and star and his brother and co-star, Dave Franco, discussing the film with a Times reporter. "I can't speak for her". He then went on daytime television and opened up about the incident.
In 2014, Franco came under fire after it emerged that he attempted to pick up a 17-year-old girl on social media.
- Chelsea vs. Arsenal, League Cup semifinal 1st leg: Half-time report
- Google Assistant is coming to Dish Network this year
- The Lightning, the All-Star Host, Lead the NHL All-Star Rosters
- Serena Williams opens up about childbirth nightmare of blood clots
- Arshi Khan is the surprise visitor with special powers
- CES 2018: TCL Unveils Expanded Home Entertainment Lineup
- HP issues laptop recall over battery blaze fears
- Facebook to Shuts Down it's Virtual Assistant M
- 'Dead' prisoner 'comes to life' in body bag
- Nicole Kidman snubs her adopted kids