Australian teenager Alex De Minaur delighted his home fans with an inspired performance to stun fourth seed Milos Raonic and move into the Brisbane Open quarter-finals on Wednesday.
His world ranking will improve from 21 to 18 after reaching the final and will climb to 17 if he claims the title.
"I was just wondering about the rule, like why I couldn't take a medical timeout for the knee taping", he said.
"It would be pretty cool to have my name next to his".
Australia has not won a Davis Cup since 2003, although came close a year ago in a 3-2 semi-final loss to the David Goffin-led Belgium on clay.
Kyrgios had reached the final while having lost the first set of each of his three previous matches, including the first in which he had a trainer treat his sore left knee three times in the first set.
"I've got pretty fond memories here so it would be good to keep adding (to them)".
He has three singles titles but all were won during the 2016 season: Tokyo, Atlanta, Marseille.
And he will no doubt back himself on Sunday after earning his first career win on his third attempt against Dimitrov.
After the first set, Kyrgios debated with umpire Fergus Murphy that Harrison should not have been allowed such a long break to go off court, while he waited in his courtside chair.
Then Kyrgios flicked the switch.
Harrison had five breakpoint chances in the first set but couldn't convert, and third-seeded Kyrgios bounced back to get the decisive break in the seventh game and took control with a mix of unorthodox shot-making and pure power on his serve.
Kyrgios had two double-faults against six from Dimitrov was broken only once and won more than 80 percent of points when he got his first serve into play. How many sets did I play this week? 11.
"It feels good. Obviously, it's a confidence boost for me (before the Australian Open)".
- ABC Cancels 'The Mayor' After One Season
- Kane brace fires Tottenham past AFC Wimbledon
- Man dead and woman injured after Stockholm metro station blast
- China Says 32 People, Mostly Iranians, Missing After Oil Tanker Collision
- Acer Chromebook 11 packs USB-C and 10 hour battery
- Celta hold Barca, easy for Real
- Change of govt inevitable in Tripura: Amit Shah
- Ex-president Saakashvili found guilty in Girgvliani case
- Packers promote Gutekunst to GM
- Jake Tapper Cuts off Stephen Miller on CNN