When I woke up Wednesday morning, I was glued to the reports and rumors still circling from a Tuesday afternoon radio interview which more than hinted that the Giants head coaching position might be enough to extract Nick Saban from the machine he has built at Alabama.
Patricia and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels interviewed for the Giants job this past Friday. But, of course, so is winning and there certainly isn't a head coaching candidate out there smarter than Patricia.
But he also met with the New York Giants last week, and now it appears Patricia is not only the favorite for that job, but prefers them over Detroit. If they end up interested enough to make an offer, that's where things could get interesting for the Lions. Maybe, although there could be some issues at play for which the Lions could not overcome the Giants - such as proximity to family.
While the Giants look to have their man, they will not be able to officially sign Patricia until the Patriots season ends, which could be as late as February 5, the day after Super Bowl LII.
Matt Patricia's head coaching candidacy has taken a bit of misdirection. He also thinks Patricia and new general manager Dave Gettleman would be on the same page in terms of putting that strong defensive team together. Despite a rocky start where the unit was ranked 31st in points allowed after four weeks, the Patriots led the National Football League in fewest points allowed from Week 5 to 17. It now seems that a decision from the Giants is the big domino to fall. The longer he, or another available candidate, doesn't fill that job, the more nervous the Lions front office should feel.
- OJ Simpson responds to claim he's Khloe Kardashian's biological father
- Former Browns HC Mike Pettine to Become Packers Defensive Coordinator
- Seahawks fire OC Darrell Bevell
- Honduras: 7.6 Earthquake Triggers Tsunami alert
- This is how quickly cigarettes can hook you
- Conservative Party forgets to renew website security certificate
- Jeff Bezos Is Now Richest Person In History
- Harvey Weinstein Attacked In Restaurant After Reportedly Refusing Photo
- Teacher handcuffed after questioning superintendent's pay raise during school board meeting
- Pokemon Go will stop working on older iPhones and iPads